Maybe I'm wrong...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby msvette2u » April 30th, 2006, 3:56 pm

ME got me thinking...I've seen ads that say that a dog won't be good with kids, and they need a home without kids...what do you think about rescuing or rehoming a dog like that!?

When we first aquired Copper (he was an accident!) I put ads on Petfinder for him. I listed "no small kids" because he actually BIT a toddler.
It ended up being that we couldn't find him a suitable home and besides, he sorta grew on us. lol
But...I also know that I WILL keep him from being in contact with toddlers, who he still does not like. I scan the area constantly and in fact yesterday in Petsmart, stopped a few toddlers from messing with him. I have HELD him in my lap and gently taken their hand in mine and let them "pet" him that way but that's rare even.

However we had Teak, a beautiful husky mix, who actually sat and growled at kids. He bit us all, too, and the 2nd time he bit my son (never drawing blood) we had him PTS...

Thoughts on this?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 30th, 2006, 4:16 pm

I think it most instances it is not the dog's fault if it doesn't like kids. Maybe it has never been introduced to them, maybe it had a bad experience. I don't think ( most dogs) are born not liking a particular type of person, their dislikes are "man made". I think a dog like that should not miss a chance at having a happy child free home. Now if we are talking about pit bulls, that is a diffreent story, as we all know pit bulls live by different rules than the rest of the canine world. But even with a pit bull, it IS possible for the dog to never encounter people it is known to have a problem with.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » April 30th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I misread your post. I didn't realize you were talking about adopting out a dog that bit a child. In that case, I think the cirumstances surrounding the bite should be examined as well as the potential adopters ability to limit the dogs access to children. Was it a nip? Was it a bite? What happened to make the dog bite the child?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 30th, 2006, 5:36 pm

I'm thinking of other dogs that I've seen people trying to save, that have bitten or tried to bite kids. ETA: Or ANY person, kid or not...

In Copper's case, the child pulled his ears and his ears were VERY sensitive when we got him. He was prone to infections and even I couldn't hardly touch his ear.

He still gets nervous around toddlers though. I just make a point of not turning my back on him in the store since some kid invariably wanders up and wants to pet him.

But that, to me, is different than out and out dog aggression. I mean a dog that would go after a kid to bite them. Copper will avoid if possible. That's his first choice. I just make sure he CAN avoid and keep small kids out of his way.

Oh, and I just put down a dog that the new guy (code enforcement officer) adopted out and the dog jumped up and snapped at a 14(?) yr. old girl, so he brought the dog back and we put him to sleep.

I guess...in my opinon, life is too short to try to straighten out the bad eggs, there's billions of dogs that need rescue, with fewer issues than that.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Miakoda » May 1st, 2006, 2:38 am

To be honest, I have distanced myself from our local APBT rescue due to the fact that they are rehoming, or trying to rehome, dogs that have bitten people (kids mostly) for one reason or another (from what I know, they were unprovoked).

Most people who adopt are already taking a huge step into an unkown world & to have them adopt a known biter is absolutely unacceptable. Most would not even know where or how to begin "rehabbing" a biting dog & would most probably be the second bite victim in the process.

I have a 1 bite policy & am firm on that policy----1 bite & you're out.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 1st, 2006, 2:43 am

I think that's the responsible tactic to take.
The thing is, I see tons of ads on petfinder classifies that admit this dog has not been "nice" or has aggression issues, and yet they don't want it PTS...
:rolleyes2:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 1st, 2006, 8:14 am

if a dog has bitten a child or an adult then the rescue should NOT rehome the dog.. most rescues feel its ok, some dont.. like you said, a adopter is getting a dog thinking that they can trust the rescue.. and if the new dog bites a resident, or a neighbor, the rescue can be sued. and why put the family thru that trauma? why rehome a dog that shows aggression and has bit a child ?? not everyone is diligent, and not everyone keeps an eye on a problem dog out in public.. and tell me how many of us have had a small child run up to our dogs to pet them and the mother is not paying attention?? its too risky in my book. there are kids everywhere, and unless you have no grandchildren, live on an island where there is no one, why take the risk adopting out a dog that bit?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » May 1st, 2006, 8:17 am

I think it depends on the dogs prior history and the circumstances surrounding the bite.

If its a Bully Breed, its a different story, I've read countless stories of our dogs being totally abused and they still come out people loving without any or little socialization, its just correct temperment.

Other breeds are less tolerant. My parents dog is not good with children unless they are old enough to understand to move slowly, stay calm and move and pet gently. (She is a rott or dobie/?/?/?/? mix, shes probably about 5 different mixes or more) They are responsible with her and know how to judge a childs capabilities and tell them if its alright or not, toddlers are definately out with her. She has never bitten a child because they are diligent; and even though they aren't really that dog savvy they have done a really good job socializing her in general with new people and at the vets (she used to have to be muzzled at visits, period). She came from a background with really poor socialization and nutrition and they have turned her right around. She and my parents are both good examples of an exception to this.

The local SPCA lists lots of dogs that "shouldn't go with young children and todlers" because they are just too rambunctious, so maybe thats what some of the petfinders ads mean too? :|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 1st, 2006, 10:05 am

Some of them, sure...I used to always list "no small kids" on small breed dogs because people think they need a small breed dog when they have toddlers, it's a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 1st, 2006, 12:24 pm

I agree with you there. A lot of small breeds bit even more. My MIL has a yorkie that only likes her. It tries to bite everyone else. And my goodness, she is afraid of our pitbull mix Satin the big goofball
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 1st, 2006, 12:35 pm

My brother had a Pom (RIP Fox!) that bit me every time I climbed in the cab of his truck. It didn't hurt but you could feel his little teeth...a bit unnerving.
So it never ceases to amaze me that people think they need a small dog when they have little kids!
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Off-Topic