another guess the breed

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby rockermom » April 29th, 2006, 11:34 am

How do they figure what breed these shelter dogs are? everywhere I go still people are trying to guess what Rocky is and what his mix is. Many of the times some people do not see pit bull. SOme will say hmm he looks a little pit bull. It does not matter he is my Rocky, but I am very curious. Plus people always ask what is his mix.
guess the breed this is a link to a shelter so choose the link on the left under FOR FUN. BTW this is the same shelter that was in the documentry Shelter Dogs which I have not seen yet.
http://www.suesternberg.com/00shelter.html
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 29th, 2006, 11:45 am

I wasn't TOO far off!! I got the last one as a GSD mix, and the pointer X, the Akita X, and the Aussie type X were easy enough...the black fuzzy dog, I've never even heard of the breed. Had it shown up in my shelter I'd probably have listed it as a Newfie X since everyone wants newfies :)
Having done volunteer shelter work, primarily adoptions at Petsmart, for a year and a half, then working in this shelter for 3 years, I got fairly OK (LOL) at guessing breeds!!! Lab/basset hounds are "bassadors" and easy to see the breeds in them! lol
Others strike you as "part this or part that". No second breed jumps out so it becomes a "Whatever-mix". Guessing the potential SIZE of the beast, that's another animal all together, and a tough one at that...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » April 29th, 2006, 4:48 pm

msvette2u wrote:I wasn't TOO far off!! I got the last one as a GSD mix, and the pointer X, the Akita X, and the Aussie type X were easy enough...the black fuzzy dog, I've never even heard of the breed. Had it shown up in my shelter I'd probably have listed it as a Newfie X since everyone wants newfies :)
Having done volunteer shelter work, primarily adoptions at Petsmart, for a year and a half, then working in this shelter for 3 years, I got fairly OK (LOL) at guessing breeds!!! Lab/basset hounds are "bassadors" and easy to see the breeds in them! lol
Others strike you as "part this or part that". No second breed jumps out so it becomes a "Whatever-mix". Guessing the potential SIZE of the beast, that's another animal all together, and a tough one at that...

So what is your guess on what Rocky is?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 29th, 2006, 4:58 pm

What X is he?

rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 29th, 2006, 6:33 pm

From those pictures I see pit bull. I'm not very good at other dog breeds but I do know a pit bull when I see one. I coudln't tell you what he is mixed with though. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 30th, 2006, 1:10 am

I'd guess Pointer Pit X. Or Pointer Terrier Mix? :D
It's ALWAYS a guess, and I guessed Newf X, on one dog, because I LIKE Newfs hehe, and the dog was a St Bernard Lab mix, so the owner said when they claimed her... a black shaggy dog...looks like a NEWF to me!! Heck I had a HUGE labrador in impound once, it turned out this dog was supposedly a purebred, AKC lab, etc. I had the monster listed as part Mastiff, he was so humongous!!! I haven't checked AKC to see if there is a size/weight upper limit but if there is I'm guessing he was a good 20-30lbs over it...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » April 30th, 2006, 2:41 am

Rocky looks like a pit to me. :|
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 30th, 2006, 8:16 am

i hate sue sternberg.
rocky looks pit/somethng mix,maybe pointer, maybe something else.. but his head in person looks pit.. body looks more like pointer, or whippet style
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 30th, 2006, 8:21 am

Maryellen wrote:i hate sue sternberg.
rocky looks pit/somethng mix,maybe pointer, maybe something else.. but his head in person looks pit.. body looks more like pointer, or whippet style

Maybe he's the elusive Greyhound/Pit bull mix!! One day I will own one. (Also known as a Lurcher).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » April 30th, 2006, 8:21 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
Maryellen wrote:i hate sue sternberg.

Maybe he's the elusive Greyhound/Pit bull mix!! One day I will own one. (Also known as a Lurcher).

my trainer thinks he is a lurcher. Whipet/border collie and Amstaff/pitbull

He could be pointer and or Catahoula. He does have very webbed feet.

Sorry but these guess the breed things always get me wondering. Since when I see pit bulls and Am Staff in person Rocky does not look exactly like them. Im sure he has Am staff or Pit bull he has the head. Its his body that has me wondering. BTW he is not solid black and white, his spots are mixed brown and black. but so dark brown it is hard to see especially in photos.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby odnarb » May 3rd, 2006, 1:20 am

msvette2u wrote:the black fuzzy dog, I've never even heard of the breed. Had it shown up in my shelter I'd probably have listed it as a Newfie X since everyone wants newfies :)

I only got two right, and that was one of them. I like Hovawarts a lot, and have been impressed by all of the ones I have met.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Return to Off-Topic