Hoyden! Weed Help!!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 4:56 pm

What the hell is this and how do I kill it???? They are EVERYWHERE!!!

Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Hoyden » April 28th, 2006, 6:53 pm

According to my husband and I quote, "OH MY GOD! It's American bamboo and you're smurfed!" It's an invasive perennial plant.

He said there is a weed killer that kills woody brush, poison ivy and vines that is in the same isle as Round-up at Home Depot. That should kill it, but you are going to have to be on it like green on grass.

Spot spray it and everytime it looks the slightest bit green, blast it again. If you stay on it this year, you may be able to kill it off so that it doesn't return next year.

This kind of weed needs chemical warfare to kill it.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Great... just great :evil: . So, I'm fucked, huh? These things are growing all over!! I tried pulling them out, they just snapped, couldn't dig them out either - I was wondering why they were hollow inside. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Home Depot tomorrow morning. Thanks :)
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Marinepits » April 28th, 2006, 8:19 pm

:flameT:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » April 28th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Oh, yeah, you're screwed. We battle pokeweed here.
Purple
I live here

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Purple wrote:Oh, yeah, you're screwed. We battle pokeweed here.

Thanks Purple :fork:
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Hmmm . . . it does kind of look like bamboo---and yet not . . . :|

If Noel is right, you are indeed smurfed---and I actually know people who can't sell their homes because of that stuff. It's a serious problem.

If you make Noel's husband breakfast, I hear he may help you. :wink3:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 8:36 pm

a-bull wrote:Hmmm . . . it does kind of look like bamboo---and yet not . . . :|

If Noel is right, you are indeed smurfed---and I actually know people who can't sell their homes because of that stuff. It's a serious problem.

If you make Noel's husband breakfast, I hear he may help you. :wink3:

Not helping.... AT ALL!!!!!! :chop:

Can't grow grass to save my life, but I got a crap load of American Bamboo!
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I'm not completely sure that's what it is---although I'm sure Noel's husband knows more than I do.

I would think it would have presented itself previously as a problem, and you've been in that house for a bit, right??
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 8:39 pm

So, do I cut them off at the base and spray with the weed killer or just spray them as is?
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 8:41 pm

a-bull wrote:I'm not completely sure that's what it is---although I'm sure Noel's husband knows more than I do.

I would think it would have presented itself previously as a problem, and you've been in that house for a bit, right??

Yeah, but now they are growing under my evergreen tree and in fromnt of my fence. They used to just be across the street and along the property line.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 8:46 pm

hmmmm . . . I'll go check my old books---still doesn't quite look like American Bamboo to me, though . . . but then again, I killed those little rose bushes Jen loves. :D However, I'm pretty down with bamboo, lol, 'cuz my Dad makes kaleidoscopes out of all variations of it.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 8:50 pm

"You need a saw, a pair of pruning shears, and patience, and maybe a spade and/or mattock. The widely advertised herbicides don’t work well on bamboo, probably because so much of the plant is underground. Since cutting the bamboo down will do the trick, and you have to cut the bamboo down anyway to remove it from your yard, herbicides are a waste of time and money in this case."

The above is my understanding of the buggers . . . I'll see what else I can find . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 28th, 2006, 8:52 pm

I had a problem with that crap in the last house I lived in. It took over my fence line & I couldn't even see my neighbor's yard ( which wsa fine with me ), I drove by there about a year after I moved & it had knocked down part of the fence along the back.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 8:56 pm

again . . . hacking it down seems to be the cure . . .

"Cutting bamboo shoots close to the ground, then removing the regrowth each time it reaches 20 to 24 inches in height will eventually kill established plants. Success with this method depends on exhausting the food reserves stored in the roots. The prompt removal of the shoots as they reach 20 to 24 inches is essential It will have to be performed many times over a period of a year or more."

Even if there is a chemical to kill it, I'm not sure I'd use it with your dogs around . . . I'm kind of a 'natural gardner'---no insecticides, etc.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 28th, 2006, 9:02 pm

a-bull wrote:hmmmm . . . I'll go check my old books---still doesn't quite look like American Bamboo to me, though . . . but then again, I killed those little rose bushes Jen loves. :D However, I'm pretty down with bamboo, lol, 'cuz my Dad makes kaleidoscopes out of all variations of it.

I killed mine. :cry:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Sue » April 28th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Looks like I'm doing some gardening tomorrow....
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 9:06 pm

pffffft . . . I'm with you on those little buggers---I could never keep them alive. :| Sometimes that stuff is forced specifically for holidays and does indeed have a limited 'shelf life,' ya know?? Either that or we're just tiny rose bush serial killers . . . :twisted:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Sue wrote:Looks like I'm doing some gardening tomorrow....

yup---time to bust out the machete . . . :headbanger:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 28th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Weeeeed Waaacker!!!!!!!
Purple
I live here

Return to Off-Topic