Is Your Town Haunted?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Purple » April 12th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Is your own haunted.....click on your state's link!

http://theshadowlands.net/places/

:cat: :batSmile:
Purple
I live here

Postby Malli » April 12th, 2006, 8:04 pm

weeeell, I don't live in a state, I live in a province, and yes, my town is haunted, some of the buildings are 150 yrs old, and theres quite a few ghost stories...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Purple » April 12th, 2006, 8:05 pm

They have other countries listed, too, and if they don't have it listed, you can have it added!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 8:25 pm

WHEW!! Nothing in my town! :D (Could have been bad news, lol)

Otherwise, this story has been told sooo many times along with the light of Saratoga, and it always seems to change.
Port Neches - Sarah Jane Road - Sarah Jane was reportedly a union sympathizer during the Civil War who was betrayed and drove her wagon off the bridge into the water trying to escape from Confederate soldiers. She was shot by a soldier while trying to save her baby, who was in the wagon with her. People have reported hearing Sarah Jane and also the babe cry while standing on the bridge at night. Here is another explanation of the Sara Jane Haunting... A woman left her abusive husband, so to get back at her, the man took their 5-year-old girl, and jumped of the side of a bridge. The woman searched for the girl for years, and finally got so distraught that she hung herself off the side of the same bridge that her daughter and husband jumped off of. It is said that at midnight, if you drive across the bridge, you can see the noose on the side on the railing and you hear a woman's voice saying, "Sara Jane, Sara Jane, where are you my Sara Jane".

My grandma always told us the story while we were growing up. It was basically that her husband was hung from a tree, so she ran home and put the baby in a basket, then hung herself from the bridge. So your supposed to go down there, flash your lights 3 times and then you will hear her scream, the baby crying, and her husband hanging from a tree. I dunno, we've already accomplished I'm a weenie when it comes to scarey so I've never been one to join in on the trips over there.. lol
Jenn
undecided

Postby girlie » April 12th, 2006, 8:37 pm

A hotel that i used to work in had some serious issues! The building was a couple hundred years old, and had had many various uses, one i thought was wild was that during the great depression it was used to house a circus (in the basement), while i was there the basement was still painted from that time. After it became a hotel an individual that worked there was "accidentally" hung from the service elevator (in the basement). Also on the 12 floor in the presidential suite a woman hung herself (she was a guest). Working in the kitchen there was kindof freaky, as my station was right next to the basement stairs, and the storage was in the basement, i worked nights and got freaked out alot!!!! The elevator that the room services girls would use had a front door into the lobby and the back door into the kitchen, this damn elevator would send itself to the 12 floor, all the time, the back door would open and you would smell this really strong flowery perfume.....damn that place spooked me out.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 8:46 pm

nope, no way, no how, no where!! lol
First time that elevator went to the 12th floor or anything else spooky happened I'd been out of there. Never to return!! lol Mail me my check!
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 8:58 pm

My local library is apparently haunted...
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Franklin Lake - Gravity Hill - Route 208 Exit - The legend of Franklin Lakes’ Gravity Road claims that a young woman was killed at the bottom of the exit ramp. When you stop at the stop sign, a mysterious force pushes you backward up the hill again. This is supposedly the ghost of the woman pushing your car away from the dangerous intersection where she was struck down. Rumor has it that putting flour or baby powder on your front bumper before trying this will reveal the ghostly handprints of the girl after the event.

this one i did w/ my mom in the car .i put the car in neutral at the bottom of the exit,. we really rolled slowly back up the exit ramp..my neck had goosebumps and the hair on my arm was standing up.

West Milford - Clinton Rd. - There is said to be the spirit of a little boy which haunts a small stream. If you toss a coin in at midnight he will throw it back. There is the story of the haunted coach that runs the road. There is also a "Hell-Hound" that chases you down if you enter the woods on the side of the road and see it. It is said to travel as fast as your car can go. (Note: Clinton Road is a hot bed for ghosts and other mysterious happenings.).
West Milford - Passaic County - Clinton Rd. - This road is a scary road. It has KKK sightings, Nazi meetings, Haunted dogs, and an old lady who walks on the same side as you re driving, and a creepy castle; A little boy was walking on this road one night and a car sped fast around a sharp turn and hit him and the boy fell over a little bridge and died. They say if you throw over a penny at exactly midnight, he throws it backs to you. Creepy huh? You can read more on weirdnj.com

this road is SUPER SCARY.. we drove on it one night... its long and dark and very very weird...

i have the weird nj book, and they have alot of weird places in it....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby bullymommy » April 13th, 2006, 6:40 am

Everett - Everett High School Auditorium - The story goes that when the building was being built a construction worker fell and was killed. Many people have seen him in the school and the grounds.

Everett - Everett Inn - After the sun starts to set and housekeeping has left the basement and turned out the lights, an interesting show starts down there that is caught on the security camera. (Unfortunately, there is no videotape capability for the security camera to catch these events on tape.) On several occasions a shadowy man dressed in a blue or gray janitor's suit was seen to walk up and down the hallway. On other occasions there is the sound of someone noisily opening the washer or dryer although while observing via the camera, it is obvious no one is there and the machines are not being moved. Various clanking and the sound of things being moved around happen about once a night, once again with no one present in the basement. On a separate occasion a cloud of ectoplasm was seen to float across the top view of the camera in the basement, followed by a thunking noise off to the right off camera (the direction the ectoplasm was headed). A final odd incident, a guest's young daughter had the knack of tricking the elevator in to taking her down there -despite the supposed lock on the elevator to prevent such things- and was seen on one occasion holding a conversation with someone who could not be seen, but was heard as a mumbling male voice. Upon inspection by the front desk, there was no one down in the basement, but they experienced an uneasy feeling while retrieving the girl. The hotel has changed ownership twice since being built, so the identity of the gentleman in the basement is unknown. He was not an employee of the current owners. It is thought that he was an elderly maintenance man that died and continues to return to his job despite the change in staff, owners and a hotel name change.

Everett - INC - At certain times of year, you can hear the organ played by a red-eyed organist. If you happen to be a minister, you hear footsteps of the choir members when there are none (must be annoying when you're praying) Ghost hunters are not allowed in for investigations or anything, so you have to be really lucky.

Everett - Mallard Cove apt. - In 1999, Bill Stien, a taxi driver employed by Everett Yellow Cab Co., had a heart attack in the parking lot at Mallard Cove Apartments ( Airport Road and Admiralty Way). Now he haunts the (g) building. He sometimes sneaks into people's apartments, picks up the phone and writes down a real address: In the morning residents find his mysterious notes by the phone, and find the door open. People who have seen Bill describe his ghost as a man in his late 40's and wearing a Mariner b-ball cap, sweats, and a beer in his right hand.

Everett - Mariner High School - At around midnight, the lights are supposed to be on like a normal school. Yet, on some nights, the lights shut off and if you're close enough, you can see and sense eyes staring at you from within the school. The only thing you can see is the eye. It looks like floating eyes from a distance. It's too dark to see the body but you can see the eyes because they have a subtle glow to it. Some sources say, if you stare at them for a while, you can see a figure of a winged man.

Everett - The old Everett movie theatre/Auditorium - Located in downtown of north Everett, the theatre has had several people in the last 20 or so years, see an apparition or ghost from time to time. It is believed to be a man; either an old deceased patron or worker of the theatre. Psychics have been called in and have reported they felt very much a supernatural presence.

Everett - U.S.S. Fife dd-991 - the destroyer,” Fife" has scene the death of a crewmember, a former captain, and a civilian contractor onboard. on her decks, and in her corridors, crewmembers have scene, and heard things, they could not explain. Main engine room number one has been reported several times to be occupied with ghost of a dead civilian worker. Engineers have heard duct tape, footsteps on the deck plates, and voices. the mid ship's quarterdeck is where a young sailor committed suicide, and many crewmembers see the ghost on dark underway nights.

the one about mariner high school is fake according to the students that go there.
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 10:03 am

Cortland NY, where I grew up, is haunted in four places, but the town I am in now is safe from ghosties!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2006, 10:53 am

When I was young we used to go "ghost hunting" quite a bit in different haunted areas that we knew of. You can laugh at me all you want but I swear I saw Chipita

San Patricio - Old Court House - San Patricio, TX Ghost of Josefa Chipita Rodriguez The only woman legally hanged in Texas was Josefa Chipita Rodríguez. She lived in a shack on the Aransas River where she cooked for wary travelers and let them sleep on cots on her porch. When a traveler named John Savage (no, not that John Savage) fell victim to an axe murder, Chipita was the prime suspect. $600 in gold was recovered from the Aransas River north of San Patricio, as well as Savage's body, in a gunny sack. Josefa Rodríguez and her son, Juan Silvera were indicted on circumstantial evidence. After Chipita pleaded not guilty, the jury recommended mercy, but the judge ordered her executed on November 13, 1863. Chipita was kept in leg irons and chained to a wall in the courthouse until the day of her hanging. Her coffin was placed in an unmarked grave (a moan was said to come from the closed casket). Many people claim to have seen her ghost, a woman with a rope around her neck.

This is also true although it has been explained that the tracks are on a bit of a hill & that is what makes the car move.

San Antonio - Shane and Villamain Roads - the spirits of children who were killed in a bus accident at the intersection push one's car off the tracks. This has been documents on film. Put your car in neutral and the cars will roll up hill and over the tracks.

This is the same place, just a little more to the story although I do not know about the lights & train. Didn't experience that.

San Antonio - Rail Road tracks - is a railroad crossing in San Antonio that is said to be haunted. Some children were on a school bus when it stalled and the train hit the bus killing them all. If you go to that area at nightfall on the anniversary the arms will come down the lights will blink and you will here a train and feel wind but there is no train. You will feel your car being pushed away from the tracks even in park. If you dust baby powder on the hood of you car you will see imprints of little hands in the powder and when the "train" is gone your car will have been moved back several feet. We went with 5 other cars and all cars had hand prints and each car had been pushed back about 4 feet.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2006, 10:58 am

Actually San Patricio Texas is a very small town & the whole area is haunted & quite creepy.

Not mentioned is a cemetary near Corpus Christi that was near my mom's hosue that was also haunted. Driving by it at night you can see strange lights........orbs I guess you could call them. There is a house that sits in the cemetary that looks like it has a light burning in the window some nights.............there has been no utilities to that house in decades. :|

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 13th, 2006, 10:59 am

New England is very haunted as a whole.
The Lighthouse Inn in New London, CT- haunted by a bride who fell down the stairs on her wedding day and died
Also Connecticut College in New London is haunted. My parents had friends that worked security there...3rd shift. At night someone would be playing the piano, but as soon as you opened the door to that room it would stop and there would be no one in sight.
There's also the Lizzie Borden house in Fall River, MA- said to be haunted by Lizzie who was accused of murdering her father? I think?

I would love to go to Scotland...particularly Edinburgh.... also I don't think you can take tours of Greyfriar's cemetery any more at night because it was that bad.
Has anyone ever watched The Scariest Places on Earth? They usually play it on abc family around Halloween. I love that show.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2006, 11:01 am

Lizzie murdered both of her parents but was aquitted.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 13th, 2006, 11:09 am

Fall River - 92 Second St. Fall River/ Bed & Breakfast - This is the house where Lizzie Borden lived and supposedly killed her father and step mother, Andrew and Abbey Borden. Cold spots are reported and doors open and close by themselves. Many ghosts have appeared and disappeared especially in the second floor bedroom where the murder occurred.

This one is really weird
Worcester- Spider Gates cemetery - It is said that this cemetery leads through the gates of hell. The cemetery got its name because of the spider like web patterns on the gates. There is supposedly a tree there called "The Hanging Tree" where someone had committed suicide by hanging themselves to this tree. There is a river located in the far end of the cemetery that is called "The River Stix" quoted from the bible. There is on tree near the cemetery that if you put a certain type of stone upon it you will be able to see the devil himself and he will talk to you. Children have been heard laughing in the cemetery at night and howling has been heard as well as spirits and mysterious fog.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 13th, 2006, 11:10 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Lizzie murdered both of her parents but was aquitted.

right, just plain weird. i would never stay there let's put it that way!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 13th, 2006, 11:17 am

This one was on The Scariest Places show. Louisville, Kentucky. Friggin' WEIRD! On that show the body slide that they're talking about moved out all by itself.

Louisville - Waverly Manor - Old T.B. and Mental hospital. Includes crematory and body slide. Several cold spots and a young girl has been spotted on several floors but mostly in the basement and on the third floor. Sighting of a young boy with dark hair in old fashioned clothing and hat, by main entrance (golf course) but watch out if you see him he will come up to you wanting to go home with you. Local rumors are that he was a victim of a doctor who preformed illegal experiments on his patients. There is also a body chute that is said to be haunted. The chute was used to transport the dead bodies of TB patients who had died so that the other patients wouldn't see them carting all the dead bodies out of the hospital. Many strange figures and noises can still be heard. Over all feeling of dread in the entire building.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2006, 12:45 pm

BC - Victoria - Royal Victoria Golf Course - the April Ghost was Doris Gravlin, killed Sept. 22 1936 by her ex-husband Victor, who then apparently killed himself. There is no bell ringing associated with her. Sometimes she appears as a misty female shape, others time in an old fashioned brown suit and often in a flowing white dress, like a wedding gown. When she's in the suit she appears most real, and can be seen walking on the course or waiting to cross the road. She'll often reappear to cross in front of the same motorist (from the same side of the road) several times. She can be most frightening in the white dress or mist form as she moves suddenly and quickly and seems to target people. She is said to most often show herself to young couples, and those that see her are destined not to marry. One person reported walking with a group to see her and having a woman take her hand. She thought it was a member of the group who was very frightened because her hand was so cold, but then she saw the rest of the group ahead of her and the hand slipped from hers.
BC - Victoria - Craigdarroch Castle - When the Castle is closed for the day, the piano in the ballroom plays by itself. During the winter months, a woman dressed in white has been seen standing in the ballroom window.

I can't BELIEVE they have nothing from the Royal Theatre!! I did a bunch of google searches and came up with only one vague mention.
I have read about it in a book however. There are mentions of walking across the stage after the building is empty and having a sharp stabbing sensation, other poltergiest activities including flicking on and off the televisions in one area; the activities bothered the janitorial staff to such an extent that its said they now work during the day

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Oh and for the record I am atheist & I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe I saw something that night. Maybe it was my mind "wanting" to see something. Who knows. :| I do find "ghostly" things & "haunted places" fascinating. I guess I believe more in "weirdness" than in "ghosts"

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2006, 1:21 pm

what is a ghost by definition? Does it have to be something religious? :|

I didn't think so, as I definately have no religious beliefs what so ever, but I DEFINATELY believe in ghosts!

thankfully I have Oscar my little knight in shining armor to protect me :lol3:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Off-Topic