Your next dog?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Maryellen » April 7th, 2006, 10:35 am

so, for those that are going to get a next dog sometime, whether to add to the dog you have now, or to get a new dog once your dog passes, have you given any thought to what kind of dog to get next??

i have been thinking along the lines of a doberman. i have always loved the breed, and with the way things are going, i might not be able to get another pit bull if bsl hits, although i would love another bully.. so, its a toss between doberman or bully.. now, if i get another bully, i am thinking of either waiting for patch o pits to have a litter, or do the rescue route... if i do the doberman route i am going to go to http://www.dru.org for a dobe..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 7th, 2006, 10:55 am

Probably another smelly spoiled pit bull. I don't know anything about any other breeds. When I wsa married to hubby 1 I had a great dane & the other hubby had a doberman. They were ok but such strange dogs to me. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby girlie » April 7th, 2006, 11:25 am

None other will do me....also, my man will not allow any other in the house or even on the yard.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 7th, 2006, 11:49 am

It will be another Pit Bull for us.

I've thought about getting an Irish Wolfhound bred from my Irish Great Grandfather's lines, but I'm not too sure that I want an indoor pony.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Romanwild » April 7th, 2006, 11:50 am

I do love the way the dobermans look.

If I had the space right now I would probably get a AKC reg staffy.

But more then likely it will be another pit bull. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 7th, 2006, 11:52 am

The only other breed I have ever considered is a Beauceron, but I'll be sticking with Bull breeds in the forseeable future.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » April 7th, 2006, 11:55 am

No more Greys for me. I love my Wally to pieces, he will always be my spoiled brat heart dog, the best dog, but no more Greys. Their dental issues are a lot and much of the Greyhound community are very snobby regarding other breeds. If I wanted to hang out with the closed minded I'd be a republican.

Unfortunately probably not a bully either. It is SO HARD in my area to find housing that allows pit bulls and/or large breeds. Though I don't exactly plan on leaving my current living situation anytime soon, there will be a day when I do and I'll need to find a place to move to that allows whatever pets I have at that time.

I'm meeting a dog on Sunday. Not a Grey, not a bully, but a pure bred cutie . . .

I'll fill you all in after it happens :twisted:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 7th, 2006, 12:05 pm

You better :evil:

We are looking at doing a dog friendly B&B in the FingerLakes after this brood is passed or decrepit and the kids are done with college-probably 10-12 years or so from now. We will likely not get any dogs before then. We would like another Newfoundland, because of the temperment, and I would like maybe a rescue Boston or a Frenchy for a small high drive dog, or a smallish mix from the pound, kelpy-ish looking. A wolfhound would be another choice instead of the Newfie, although I have not researched how they are with other dogs. I know Goldens would be the best bet, but I just cannot picture myself with one. :cheeky3:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » April 7th, 2006, 12:14 pm

One dog is enough for me. Had a doberman. I loved her sooo much. I cant even explain it. A different love than I have for Rocky. She loved to be loved. But she was way tooo territorial protective for a family with kids. I took her in at 2 1/2 yrs. Seemed she was meant to be. Untill we had visitors. My kids summer was wasted since they could not have any freinds over. Could not put her in a crate or a room. She would pace and bark for hours and poo and pee on the floor if you left her. She was my shadow. When the kids went back to school I prayed it would get better. but that left just her and I and I became hers. That got scarry. We brought her to D.R.U. and I am happy to say they found a home for her. I hope with someone who lives on a hundred acre forrest that does not care to have many visitors. I would not recommend a doberman for people with kids. My kids are not little and I was more worried about my 16 year old son bringing one of his long haird friends for her to rip apart. Boy did I feel safe with her around. Now I got Rocky who does not even bark when some one is at the door. Ms. Doberman would freak if a bell rang on tv. I was not experienced enough to own a Doberman. They are sweet. They need to be well understood. She was so beutiful that when time came to get another dog I was so rediculus about I must have a good looking dog. I miss my girl. Now its me and the boys all boys. Wish I knew about you Maryellen then. Would have saved a long trip and I could still come see her. Sorry for all the blabering. But it makes me get crying and talking about her everytime I think of dobermans.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 7th, 2006, 12:18 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:A wolfhound would be another choice instead of the Newfie, although I have not researched how they are with other dogs.

Sighthounds are VERY social dogs in general. Especially if you get them young, they're great with other dogs :)

Just watch out for the tiny white ones . . . sometimes they can be mistaken for lunch!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 7th, 2006, 12:19 pm

I have considered dobes, I have had some great friendships with some really nice ones. I know what you mean about having the memories make you sad. I went to the AKC Newfoundland classic in Beverly Hills a few years ago, and I cried for the first 1/2 hour missing my Benny. I managed to get it together enough to do the frisbee demo, but it was hard.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby GreddyGirl » April 7th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I would love to get another pit bull, but thats not gonna happen unless I move out of the province. I loves Dobes, but either way Im only gonna have 1 dog next time!
GreddyGirl
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 7th, 2006, 12:37 pm

We wanted a Dobe when we got Hunter (our GSD) we wanted either a dobe or a shepherd. We wanted a dog to be protective of our kids and instill a healthy "respect" from strangers and our GSD's do the trick really well.
I like the idea too, of having "shepherd" type dogs for kids.
My "dream dog" would be a mastiff of some sort. But I'm not sure how they are with kids or if they are "too much" dog for us.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Asta » April 7th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Oh, with my lifestyle i can only dream of having another dog... :( But i do! And when i do there is usually a Greyhound in it, or a pug , or a French bulldog :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Insomnia » April 7th, 2006, 12:46 pm

As much as I want another pitbull, I don't think it's possible here, and Princess is only 2 so she'll be with me for many many years. There are no breed specific rescues here and 95% of the dogs that needs to be rescued are stray dogs, there are very few pitbulls here as well. So hopefully my next dog will be a Formosa Dog....something native to Taiwan.....but over here...u never know when u gonna encounter a cute new born stray.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmyangels » April 7th, 2006, 1:28 pm

With three dogs it will be some time until I think about getting another one. But personality wise out of the three I have now I love both my bully and my heinz 57 mix. So I would have to say I'd either get another bully or mix.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby kymn25 » April 7th, 2006, 2:03 pm

My next dog is definately going to be a White, Male, Boxer. I love Boxers, they are so goofy, sweet, sensitive and of course the squisshy faces kill me. I love their facial expressions. They seem so humanlike at times.

I would love a Pit after that but it all depends on if I own a house or rent. It is hard enough to find housing with two large dogs let alone a Pit to. My other dream Dogs: English Bulldog, Pug, Neopolatin Mastiff, Douge De Bordeaux, Boston with natural ears..... So many dogs so little space and time.
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Sue » April 7th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Once we move next spring, we may consider getting another dog... Rory can be a bit iffy, so we don't kow if we want to upset the household balance :) Also, if we get another, we probably wouldn''t be able to foster and that's something we really want to do.

But in a perfect world....
Dobe - my mom's friend had one, beautiful dog...
GSD - would have to get past the shedding :shock:
Mastiff - my aunt & uncle have Neo's and I just LOVE them!!
Pit Bull - of course :)
Rottie - we almost adopted one years ago...
Boxer - my husband LOVES boxers
Weim - but I think they're a little too high energy for us, beautiful though!
Dane - Love them

But when it comes down to it, we'll adopt whatever needs a home and will fit into the family - whether it's a mutt or a purebred. One thing is for sure though... it WON'T be a LWD!!!!
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Purple » April 7th, 2006, 3:52 pm

We always talk about getting another dobie......here's our guy, Mylo, we lost him in 2002 to osteoporosis, he was about six. I remember when we went to the shelter and saw him, he was lunging at the gate, snarling and growling and barking, scared the chocolate out of us. The shelter manager told us to just open the door...we were like no way, that hound is definately straight from hell....what a personality change when the door was open, he wiggle butted around.....we took him home!

Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » April 7th, 2006, 3:55 pm

ME, are you familiar with this rescue?

http://www.dvdpa.org/
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Off-Topic