Super Nanny

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » April 3rd, 2006, 9:40 pm

Okay, so I watch Super Nanny and I find A LOT of similarities between disciplining the kids and training dogs. Scary really. Unfortunately you can't put kids in crates when you need a break. :|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » April 3rd, 2006, 9:45 pm

You have NO IDEA how tempted I am to put the Gremlin in a crate!!!

I find myself telling her to heel, stop, stay, come and not even thinking about it until someone gives me a funny look.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 3rd, 2006, 9:52 pm

LOL! I have pissed off quite a few parents by equating training and parenting. Usually the parents who were training thier kids to be brats :twisted: .
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 3rd, 2006, 10:22 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Okay, so I watch Super Nanny and I find A LOT of similarities between disciplining the kids and training dogs. Scary really. Unfortunately you can't put kids in crates when you need a break. :|

No but you can beat that fanny!! I'm sorry but I fully believe in spanking bratty kids. My daughter tried the fit throwing like the little kid tonight. I lost my cool, popped her butt a couple of times & sent her to bed to scream herself to sleep. That's all it took. :| I can count on one hand the amount of times she actually GOT spanked but I threatened her plenty & she knew I would do it......just not when. :wink: I watch those shows & scream "beat that ass!!!!" But, I won't spank a dog.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » April 3rd, 2006, 11:24 pm

Whew! That little girl that was on last week, throwing the books and mooning her mom.. :shock: I'd beat her ass in a heart beat!! lol I don't spank my child, I've popped her maybe three times she'll be 6 next week. If she acted like that though, man oh man... I only watch that show so I can see how good my child really is! ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby call2arms » April 3rd, 2006, 11:37 pm

People who would spank their kids (which means to me that they have common sense...) would just NEVER let their kids get to that point. Not to say that they would necessarily spank them, but just the different way of raising the kids from the start makes me think that the child would not act like that, throwing fits, hitting the parents, throwing stuff at them, etc.

I was spanked a couple times as a kid, it worked well for a while until the day I told my dad that spanking didn't hurt my butt, but my feelings. I was about 5, and he never did it again.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 4th, 2006, 7:12 am

SisMorphine wrote:Okay, so I watch Super Nanny and I find A LOT of similarities between disciplining the kids and training dogs. Scary really. Unfortunately you can't put kids in crates when you need a break. :|

Behavior mod is behavior mod no matter how you look at it. LOL. My principal always jokes with me as too which I think is harder and which I did first teach or train.

I teach special education students. They are really great kids but need a lot of structure and boundries .

Kids and dogs all feed of off positive reinforcement as well as fair consistent consequences.

Comes down to if either can't behave they can't be taught their skills properly
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby a-bull » April 4th, 2006, 7:22 am

Ahh, nice observation. :)

I always say couples should raise atleast one dog from a pup before having kids---great practice. However, some people should raise neither.

Time out in your room is the kid equivalent of a crate. I know super Nany likes her "naughty spots" rather than the room, but the room works. It's more about getting the kid to chill and refocus rather than punishing, imo.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 4th, 2006, 11:46 am

I don't know about the room. Naughty spots must work better, because there's plenty of stuff to do in a room...
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby cheekymunkee » April 4th, 2006, 11:57 am

Naughty spot makes me laugh. When my daughter was little naughty spots & no-no spots are what I called.................well, you get the picture. :oops:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby girlie » April 4th, 2006, 12:03 pm

call2arms wrote:I don't know about the room. Naughty spots must work better, because there's plenty of stuff to do in a room...

Very true, but for some reason when my children are in trouble and sent to their rooms for punishment they just sit there and don't touch anything. I guess they know that they are in trouble and they are trying to refocus themselves...?.....rethinking.....That aplies mainly to my son, daughter gets sent to her room and slams the door, starts throwing things and screaming at the top of her lungs about how mean i am....and no she's not a teenager, she's two!!
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pitcrew » April 4th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Interesting topic! I have watched this show, but it seems like the same stuff over and over.

One I liked was BRAT CAMP. I dont think it is still on. It was about this time last year.

Anyone see it?
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 4th, 2006, 12:29 pm

The LOOK OF DEATH and snarling works with both kids and dogs in my house.

I lower the octave of my voice and say what I have to say quietly in a drill sargent type tone and they immediately behave.

Most times the LOOK OF DEATH works and I don't need to say a thing.

They all know that if I have to enforce the command given with the LOOK, they are in BIG trouble. I-pods, guitars, flutes, swords, bows or what ever the possesion du-jour is will become mine and I don't hesitate to get out the board of correction.

The dogs are better than the Gremlin though. I rarely have to put the dogs in a down stay in the time-out corner. They know what the time out corner means and they know they will be ignored totally if they are bad.

What I find hilarious is that when Birdie has done something bad and she knows I am mad, she goes and lays down in the time-out corner and tries to look sorry .
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby a-bull » April 4th, 2006, 4:29 pm

pitcess wrote:
call2arms wrote:I don't know about the room. Naughty spots must work better, because there's plenty of stuff to do in a room...

Very true, but for some reason when my children are in trouble and sent to their rooms for punishment they just sit there and don't touch anything. I guess they know that they are in trouble and they are trying to refocus themselves...?.....rethinking.....That aplies mainly to my son, daughter gets sent to her room and slams the door, starts throwing things and screaming at the top of her lungs about how mean i am....and no she's not a teenager, she's two!!

Right---the room works, because it's a chill spot, regardless of how they choose to chill themselves in there.

My youngest is almost 17, so I think I may be the old sage in this crowd. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 4th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Hoyden wrote:The LOOK OF DEATH and snarling works with both kids and dogs in my house.

I lower the octave of my voice and say what I have to say quietly in a drill sargent type tone and they immediately behave.

Most times the LOOK OF DEATH works and I don't need to say a thing.

They all know that if I have to enforce the command given with the LOOK, they are in BIG trouble. I-pods, guitars, flutes, swords, bows or what ever the possesion du-jour is will become mine and I don't hesitate to get out the board of correction.

The dogs are better than the Gremlin though. I rarely have to put the dogs in a down stay in the time-out corner. They know what the time out corner means and they know they will be ignored totally if they are bad.

What I find hilarious is that when Birdie has done something bad and she knows I am mad, she goes and lays down in the time-out corner and tries to look sorry .

Uh oh . . . I'm afraid to ask what the "board of correction" is, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Hoyden » April 4th, 2006, 4:53 pm

a-bull wrote:
Uh oh . . . I'm afraid to ask what the "board of correction" is, lol . . .

The paddle.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby a-bull » April 4th, 2006, 4:55 pm

:spank:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 5th, 2006, 11:17 am

Pitcess... It's great that the room works for your kids, but I know that for me it was sending me to my toys. I taught I fooled my dad, what was he thinking punishing while letting me play with my Little Ponies???

Poor dad. I guess sending me to my room at least allowed him to breathe and not strangle me.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby cheekymunkee » April 5th, 2006, 11:22 am

I NEVER grounded my child, that was more punishment for ME than for HER. And I knew by sending her to her room she was just going to play but at least she left me alone for a bit.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 11:30 am

all my father had to do was look at me the wrong way and i knew i was in deep crap.. i got grounded once. only once. the repercussions from the reaming me out were far worse then the actual sitting in my room watching tv and listening to the radio.. the stern voice and the look that could kill did more then the grounding..
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Off-Topic