I joined the Army

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby gayrghts » February 1st, 2008, 7:08 pm

On February 01 2008, 3:15 PM, amazincc wrote:Well... I've gotten two more letters full of... complaints, and "I-miss-you's"... Absence DOES make the heart grow fonder, I guess.

I wish I could be more sympathetic... but I'm just not. :oops:

She started boot camp today, so I can't wait to hear what it's like and how much she HATES being told what to do. :backRoll:
Oh, and getting up EARLY - that's gonna kill her right there.

I'm enjoying this thread almost as much as the CM thread...

oh, and the pot selling craigs list thread...
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby madremissy » February 1st, 2008, 10:53 pm

On February 01 2008, 6:08 PM, gayrghts wrote:
On February 01 2008, 3:15 PM, amazincc wrote:Well... I've gotten two more letters full of... complaints, and "I-miss-you's"... Absence DOES make the heart grow fonder, I guess.

I wish I could be more sympathetic... but I'm just not. :oops:

She started boot camp today, so I can't wait to hear what it's like and how much she HATES being told what to do. :backRoll:
Oh, and getting up EARLY - that's gonna kill her right there.

I'm enjoying this thread almost as much as the CM thread...

oh, and the pot selling craigs list thread...

Me to. I don't think the CM worshiper could keep up with the big dogs. 8)

I am silently giggling, I guess having one of the same kind of wonderful children whose answer was "I will show you" and then it kinda backed fire in his face and it kinda showed him. :bricks: (Did that make sense)

But on the bright side I do have a child now that actually I can have a civil conversation with and relationship. Very proud of him now.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby cheekymunkee » February 1st, 2008, 11:28 pm

I got lucky with my kid ( that is why I only had 1) she wasn't really much trouble. Just mouthy as hell. And lazy, damn is that child lazy. We've always been extremely close. She hasn't been pregnant, on drugs or tried to kill me so I guess I did ok by her. BUT she does drive like an alcoholic.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » February 1st, 2008, 11:41 pm

That's the thing though... Jessica is a wonderful person unless she goes off her meds. Then it's like having the demon child from hell in her place.
What a stupid and bone-headed thing to do by an otherwise very intelligent kid... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » February 1st, 2008, 11:45 pm

I'm the same way, when I am off of my anti-depressants I think everyone ELSE is an a-hole. When it is actually ME. :oops: Ok, no, it's them too. Mostly them. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » February 1st, 2008, 11:48 pm

On February 01 2008, 10:28 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:I got lucky with my kid ( that is why I only had 1) she wasn't really much trouble. Just mouthy as hell. And lazy, damn is that child lazy. We've always been extremely close. She hasn't been pregnant, on drugs or tried to kill me so I guess I did ok by her. BUT she does drive like an alcoholic.

Lucky girl. As for me :backRoll: wasn't so lucky but it was a true lesson in life. Fortunately we are very close and I think that is what got us threw the tough times. Now I am fortunate to have a sober, loving, and hardworking son. Plus a daughter-in-law and new grand baby on the way. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. btw Actually about to post thread about our day
madremissy

Postby cheekymunkee » February 1st, 2008, 11:50 pm

Well, I caused enough trouble in my youth for BOTH of us. And then some. :mrgreen:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » February 1st, 2008, 11:55 pm

On February 01 2008, 10:41 PM, amazincc wrote:That's the thing though... Jessica is a wonderful person unless she goes off her meds. Then it's like having the demon child from hell in her place.
What a stupid and bone-headed thing to do by an otherwise very intelligent kid... :|

It is ok some of the best people in the world make bad decisions but you have to live and learn by them.
she is the one who made this decision let her live it. Even though she would probably be really mad :twisted: if she knew we were all getting a little giggle out of it :giggle:

I didn't mean to talk about my :crazy: child in Jessica's thread but I have held in in so long.
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » February 2nd, 2008, 10:01 am

On February 01 2008, cheekymunkee wrote:I'm the same way, when I am off of my anti-depressants I think everyone ELSE is an a-hole. When it is actually ME. :oops: Ok, no, it's them too. Mostly them. :wink:

If you ever need affirmation of this, you have my phone number. :wave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 2nd, 2008, 11:10 am

On February 02 2008, 8:01 AM, iluvk9 wrote:
On February 01 2008, cheekymunkee wrote:I'm the same way, when I am off of my anti-depressants I think everyone ELSE is an a-hole. When it is actually ME. :oops: Ok, no, it's them too. Mostly them. :wink:

If you ever need affirmation of this, you have my phone number. :wave:

You are the "them" I was talking about! :P

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » February 2nd, 2008, 11:13 am

Ah Christine, every child, it seems, must do at least one really silly, stubborn, I'll show you thing. This is hers and in the whole scope of life, it's not that bad of a thing.

She'll learn a lot about herself and people. She'll gain a ton of confidence even if she doesn't think she wants to.

It'll be one of those "life lessons" that we all have to learn...just some of us end up learning them the hard way.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » February 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

On February 01 2008, 10:41 PM, amazincc wrote:That's the thing though... Jessica is a wonderful person unless she goes off her meds. Then it's like having the demon child from hell in her place.

I have a lot of respect for those who choose to serve our country. My 17 year old niece joined the Army National Guard before she graduated from high school. We all pretty much felt the same as you, she was an honor student and could have gone to any college on scholarship. She really did emerge from the experience a changed and matured young adult. Jessica will do fine as soon as she adjusts to her new lifestyle for the next 4 years.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » February 2nd, 2008, 11:16 pm

By that I meant going off her meds.... not that she joined the Army. Just wanted to clarify. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitacc » February 3rd, 2008, 10:35 am

I read Jessica's letters and she is not happy.
For some reason she thought the Army would be one big tea party. Oops. :P :backRoll:
A friend is the one who is already there doing it when every one else is saying,
"Is there anything I can do?"
Mickey is blessed with many friends just like that. :)

Caroline
pitacc
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » February 3rd, 2008, 10:36 am

Christine, I am sure you know, that that is often a problem with people who are on medication. They feel great, and figure; why continue taking medication?, not realizing the catch-22 involved.

Have you heard how her training is going, yet?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 3rd, 2008, 10:48 am

On February 03 2008, 9:36 AM, iluvk9 wrote:Christine, I am sure you know, that that is often a problem with people who are on medication. They feel great, and figure; why continue taking medication?, not realizing the catch-22 involved.

Joyce, you are so right....and when they do go off their meds, they don't think anything is wrong - even though EVERYONE else sees it!!!

Christine, I hope it's not TOO bad for her...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitacc » February 3rd, 2008, 10:57 am

On February 03 2008, 9:48 AM, katiek0417 wrote:
On February 03 2008, 9:36 AM, iluvk9 wrote:Christine, I am sure you know, that that is often a problem with people who are on medication. They feel great, and figure; why continue taking medication?, not realizing the catch-22 involved.

Joyce, you are so right....and when they do go off their meds, they don't think anything is wrong - even though EVERYONE else sees it!!!

Christine, I hope it's not TOO bad for her...

Jess is my sister and I love her, but she should know better by now. She's been doing this since she was 13 and with the same results each time. :cry:
A friend is the one who is already there doing it when every one else is saying,
"Is there anything I can do?"
Mickey is blessed with many friends just like that. :)

Caroline
pitacc
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » February 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am

On February 03 2008, pitacc wrote:
Jess is my sister and I love her, but she should know better by now. She's been doing this since she was 13 and with the same results each time. :cry:

I can imagine how frustrating it is for family members, Caroline, and I certainly do not mean to preach to someone who lives with a sibling with issues such as your sisters. :hug3:

I can just tell you from an educators view. I have worked with teens on meds for 26 years. The difficulty lies in the fact that part of their illness is the inability to learn from their mistakes.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » February 3rd, 2008, 12:14 pm

On February 02 2008, 10:16 PM, amazincc wrote:

By that I meant going off her meds.... not that she joined the Army. Just wanted to clarify. :wink:

Sorry, I misinterpreted.:oops: I still believe she will come out a more responsible person, which if she is lucky will mean she understands the need to stay on her meds.

Teens tend to construe meds as making them 'different' from others thus part of the tendency to stop the meds when they are doing well.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2008, 12:32 pm

On February 03 2008, 11:14 AM, hugapitbull wrote:
On February 02 2008, 10:16 PM, amazincc wrote:

Sorry, I misinterpreted.:oops: I still believe she will come out a more responsible person, which if she is lucky will mean she understands the need to stay on her meds.

Teens tend to construe meds as making them 'different' from others thus part of the tendency to stop the meds when they are doing well.

lol... teens aren't the only ones who 'think" that way. :oops:
Bi-polar is a tricky disease... but meds are the best way to get a handle on it.
I know I gripe about her, but I do love her to bits... I just wish she could learn from my mistakes... even though I know it doesn't work that way.
And if the Army can teach her self-discipline and responsibility I'm all for the experience.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic