Odd situation - What would be an appropriate gift?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby gayrghts » December 3rd, 2007, 5:40 pm

I didn't mean anything bigoted when i said to be careful....

I firmly believe in helping kids like that.... just you have to do it in a safe way, and i didn't know what your experience level was in how to be safe....

I also would love your story, when you write it out.... so i can share it with some kids at work....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby lellis34 » December 3rd, 2007, 7:52 pm

My husband is a bigot. Period.

Dress him up in his Faire gear and make him go around in the "normal" world like that for a day. He'll definately be on the other end of the bigot stick. :D
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Leslie H » December 3rd, 2007, 7:54 pm

I enjoyed reading this whole thread. Hoyden, I'm with you, I think it's part of our responsibility to the apbt that we take the time, and talk to anyone who is interested in our breed. You treated those kids w/respect and decency, and got the same in return. Don't overlook the good you have done Jamal, by letting him help you.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Hoyden » December 3rd, 2007, 8:53 pm

On December 03 2007, 6:52 PM, lellis34 wrote:

My husband is a bigot. Period.

Dress him up in his Faire gear and make him go around in the "normal" world like that for a day. He'll definately be on the other end of the bigot stick. :D

That would NOT bother him one bit. He has no problem going into Walmart, the mall, the grocery store or where ever in garb.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby luvmyangels » December 3rd, 2007, 10:28 pm

Noel, I am so sorry you got hurt. That is so impressive what Jamal did for you. It sounds like you have some great ideas for thanking him and his act of kindness. It is so nice that you go out of your way to answer questions and do what you do. You are awesome!!! So give yourself a big hug because you deserve it!! :hug3: Keep up the great job!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Hoyden » December 4th, 2007, 12:38 am

On December 03 2007, 6:54 PM, Leslie H wrote:I enjoyed reading this whole thread. Hoyden, I'm with you, I think it's part of our responsibility to the apbt that we take the time, and talk to anyone who is interested in our breed. You treated those kids w/respect and decency, and got the same in return. Don't overlook the good you have done Jamal, by letting him help you.

I so need to get my butt in gear and post some photos from this year.

Birdie went a lot of new places and did a lot of new things this year. I have no idea how many people we saw this year, but it was a lot between parades we were in, Ren Faires, concerts we went to and even to court to fight and WIN against a speeding ticket.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Scout » December 4th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Hoyden this is a great...I enjoyed reading the thread and reading what a difference you make! Very, truly inspriring!

I get too shy to speak out about anything, so it is very inspiring for me to hear you taking the time to educate others about Birdie, her job and her breed.

I'm sorry that you got hurt and I hope you are healing nicely!
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » December 5th, 2007, 11:59 am

On December 02 2007, Hoyden wrote:
On December 02 2007, 8:57 PM, SisMorphine wrote:I would think the concern, especially since he was supposedly wearing gang colors, is that he'd spend the cash on drugs or something else undesirable. If he got a gift card to the mall he could buy clothes, maybe a gift certificate for a supermarket so his family could treat themselves for Christmas would be nice.

Noel, I'm so sorry this happened to you. But this kid is just awesome and with your permission I would love to share this story with my kids who, like Jamaal, are good kids who have done wrong in the past. I want to show them that people really DO care for those who have been in trouble before. What goes around comes around and all that jazz. Let me know . . .

I wrote a statement for his PO just in case he wasn't there when I went to see him. I'll add to that and change names and email it to you.

Alyssa is right, he's been in trouble for drugs. That's why I'm steering away from cash.

Someone suggested college or NBA tickets so I'm going to look into what is available.

Another great idea is to contact the local newspaper paper and let them know, so others can know he's a hero too :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Leslie H » December 5th, 2007, 7:36 pm

we went to and even to court to fight and WIN against a speeding ticket.

I think if you're talented enough to teach your service dog to drive, you should be able to teach her to obey the posted limits.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby SisMorphine » December 5th, 2007, 7:52 pm

On December 05 2007, 6:36 PM, Leslie H wrote:

I think if you're talented enough to teach your service dog to drive, you should be able to teach her to obey the posted limits.

Birdie has a pretty heavy paw . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » December 6th, 2007, 12:59 pm

On December 05 2007, 5:36 PM, Leslie H wrote:

Munkee got another red light ticket the other day on his way to the store to shop for dinner. I swear that dog is color blind! Justice was SO mad because she was cooking & needed milk & he was so late getting back that the souffle was almost ruined. Almost. Damned dogs!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » December 6th, 2007, 1:01 pm

On December 06 2007, 11:59 AM, cheekymunkee wrote:
On December 05 2007, 5:36 PM, Leslie H wrote:

Munkee got another red light ticket the other day on his way to the store to shop for dinner. I swear that dog is color blind! Justice was SO mad because she was cooking & needed milk & he was so late getting back that the souffle was almost ruined. Almost. Damned dogs!

Mick isn't civil enough to drive... road rage, and all that... :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hoyden » December 10th, 2007, 9:38 pm

I got the speeding ticket. Passed a landscaper's truck that made me nervous because the last time I was behind one of their trucks, I got clipped by a shovel that wasn't secured and fell off of their truck.

I was proud of Birdie because until we went up to see the prosecutor, he wasn't aware that there was a dog in the court room. We checked in with the Sheriff and sat down. Birdie laid down half under my chair. When we were called up, the prosecutor was looking down at the file, so he was startled to see a dog come into his line of vision.

I told him what happened, he looked at the file, told me the ticket wasn't filled out properly and dismissed the case. Then asked to pet Birdie.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » June 21st, 2010, 12:58 am

Thought I would update this since I got a call from Jamal's mother earlier this week.

He graduated from High School. He was in the ROTC program. His probation officer & school social worker managed to get him transferred to another high school in the city after he brought his grades up so he could be involved in the ROTC program.

He managed to graduate with a solid B average. In November 2007, he was failing badly & would have probably dropped out. Thanks to our very own Joyce (iluvk9) he developed a love for photography & took several classes in high school and some at Naugatuck Valley Community College as well.

His mother said that she never though she would see him graduate from High School, never mind take classes at the Community College while still in high school. He paid for them himself with his part time job. He hasn't been in trouble since 2007 and he is got off probation awhile ago.

Jamal isn't sure what kind of career he wants, but he really loves the ROTC program, so he's thinking about going into the Army. He plans on going to Naugatuck Valley Community College in the fall to bring up his grades & then transfer to one of the CT State Colleges with a ROTC program.

She also told me that he took it upon himself to volunteer at the animal shelter & that he has been running & organizing a neighborhood basketball league for the younger kids that plays down at the park. My neighbor, the cop, told me that he's been doing a great job & that he has really turned himself around. The cops go down & play with the kids a couple times a month.

Joyce, she said to tell you that there are two ladies in CT that pray for the "Nice lady named Joyce on Long Island" every Sunday and Thank you.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » June 21st, 2010, 1:37 am

:clap:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 21st, 2010, 5:28 am

Wow...that blew me away.

I love how one little act of kindness snowballed into this. Thanks for the update, Noel. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » June 21st, 2010, 9:36 pm

What a great update...a little kindness made an enormous difference.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » June 21st, 2010, 9:59 pm

What a wonderful thread to read. I love to hear stories about kids turning their lives around. I hope Jamal continues his great progress in life.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am

What a great update! :cheer:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby AllAmericanPUP » June 22nd, 2010, 4:07 pm

Loved reading this whole thread :clap: Really awesome update!

It's amazing that a little kindness can go a long way.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic