George Carlin's Rules for 2006

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » March 13th, 2006, 9:07 am

pLaurent wrote:8)
New Rule: Just because your tattoo has Chinese characters in it doesn't
make you spiritual. It's right above the crack of your fanny. And it
translates to "beef with broccoli." The last time you did anything
spiritual, you were praying to God you weren't pregnant. You're not
spiritual. You're just high.

:ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:

As a tattoo addict . . . I LOVE IT!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby bullymommy » March 13th, 2006, 5:49 pm

i wouldnt call Vili a "victim" but i also see your point. and in my opinion no its not ok. i was just saying that at least it wasnt one of those jeeze im sorry i made a mistake kinda thing, they actually seem to love eachother.
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 13th, 2006, 6:01 pm

I'm familiar with cases just like that one and my opinion is that marriage doesn't change anything.

She's still a pedophile. She had her victims babies then married him. That certainly doesn't change what she did with an 11 year old.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 6:16 pm

eleven?!???!??!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 13th, 2006, 10:46 pm

yup but hey they ended up married. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Is what your cousin did wrong? Yes. Are the kids going to be screwed up for life because of it? No.

What I'm about to write will likely offend some people, but I encourage everyone to really think about this.

If the gender roles were reversed (male teacher and female students) I believe that the teacher would in fact be more wrong.

The degree to which behavior is deemed unnacceptable is determined by the damage (or percieved damage) it causes to society. A male teacher engaging in sexual behavior with female students causes more damage than a female teacher doing the same with male students. Why? The female students would be more likely to suffer long-term psychological damage. There is a real difference in social power and sex roles between men and women that complicates these issues beyond the age factor.

Again, your cousin was wrong. But if she were a man, she would be more so. The reason? Male teachers have proportionally more social power over female students than female teachers have over male students.

This issue is much more complicated than it first appears.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Maryellen » March 13th, 2006, 11:11 pm

how can you say the kids wont be affected by what she did? i think every child that is molested whether by a woman or a man has some sort of lasting effect. whether the child realizes it or not. what she did is wrong, and she should get the max punishment whether she is a female or a male.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2006, 11:15 pm

As a parole officer in charge of 75 sex offenders, I feel all offenders who commit the same crime should be sentenced similarly. I only have one female on parole - I realize that men are more likely to be sex offenders, however, not 75x more likely. I have extremely strong opinions on sex offenders and victims, which I'm not going to get into (I could write books!). However, I will say that 75% of these guys don't get the sentence they deserve.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 11:30 pm

I didn't say they won't be affected. I said they won't be screwed up for life. Or more properly, they are less likely to be screwed up for life than female students in the same position with a male teacher.

My point is that the age is not the only factor to consider. I'm not talking about the legal aspect, but the sociological one. Let me put it bluntly. If I was a 15 year old male who had sex with his hot teacher, I would be a hero to my peers. Does that absolve the teacher of responsibility? No. But age is not the only factor to consider. The thing that everyone overlooks is social power. Males have more social power than women (NOT saying that this is right, just that it is). Therefore male students are on a more even plane in terms of social power with female teachers than female students are with male teachers.

I am not saying that what she did is right. I am trying to get people to think about their social construction of gender and sex roles. If Miakoda's cousin was a man and he had sex with multiple female students, it would be more of an abuse of power. People would be lining up to string the guy up in public.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby cheekymunkee » March 14th, 2006, 1:59 am

Oklahoma wants to start executing repeat offenders. I doubt it will fly but I like the effort.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bullymommy » March 14th, 2006, 6:25 am

Romanwild wrote:I'm familiar with cases just like that one and my opinion is that marriage doesn't change anything.

She's still a pedophile. She had her victims babies then married him. That certainly doesn't change what she did with an 11 year old.

i NEVER said what she did was right! My personal opinions about them both are not very good. Yes what she did is way way wrong and i would kill her if vili was my son!!! on the other hand having a friend who was friends with him i dont feel any pity for him in the least!!!!! It was the typical male steriotype he was bragging about it and everything the only thing that was missing was the damn high 5's! (although im sure there were those too)
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 8:36 am

Demo wrote:
The female students would be more likely to suffer long-term psychological damage.

Is that your opinion or is there a study or something to back that up?

It's not a issue of social power it's an issue of TRUST.

These are adults put into a very high position of trust with peoples children. They are supposed to protect them not smurf them. The difference in social opinion is secondary to the violation of trust. Why aren't people bothered by this?

Pedophiles continually put themselves in these positions. Teachers, boy scout leaders, church leaders, coaches.

The pubescent mind is still undeveloped. Especially the emotional part. Like Maryellen said. The damage might not be obvious but it's still there.

Not to mention your explanation puts women as the "weaker sex". :wink:
Last edited by Romanwild on March 14th, 2006, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 8:42 am

I apologize for that but this is why I useds sarcasm.

bullymommy wrote:i wouldnt call Vili a "victim"

He is/was a victim. How can you say he's not? Just because he's a boy and got to have sex with his 4TH GRADE TEACHER? Sorry for shouting, it was to make a point. :wink:

i was just saying that at least it wasnt one of those jeeze im sorry i made a mistake kinda thing, they actually seem to love eachother.

They can love each other all they want. They are both adults now. Nothing illegal going on. But seeming like they are in love doesn't change the FACT that she is a pedophile. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 8:44 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Oklahoma wants to start executing repeat offenders. I doubt it will fly but I like the effort.

They would give pot smokers the chair before they passed that law. :rolleyes2:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby bullymommy » March 14th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Romanwild wrote:I apologize for that but this is why I useds sarcasm.

bullymommy wrote:i wouldnt call Vili a "victim"

He is/was a victim. How can you say he's not? Just because he's a boy and got to have sex with his 4TH GRADE TEACHER? Sorry for shouting, it was to make a point. :wink:

[quote]

i agree that hes a victem in that sense. i do not think that hes a victem in the sense of the way he handled it. granted what i heard is what my friend said he did wither he did it or not i dont know.
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Miakoda » March 14th, 2006, 6:29 pm

New Rule: I'm not the cashier! By the time I look up from sliding my card,
entering my PIN number, pressing "Enter," verifying the amount, deciding, no, I don't want cash back, and pressing "Enter" again, the kid who is supposed to be ringing me up is standing there eating my Almond Joy.

LMAO. AMEN!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 9:46 pm

bullymommy wrote: i do not think that hes a victem in the sense of the way he handled it. granted what i heard is what my friend said he did wither he did it or not i dont know.

I know what you are saying. Most boys would brag. I guess I make the distinction. He was a child, not an adult. He probably still doesn't understand what was wrong with it.

Perhaps if his kids are being sexually preyed upon he will get it. :|

We're good. I'm just a little intense about this subject. Sorry if I came off too strong. :oops:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby bullymommy » March 15th, 2006, 3:50 am

LOL no were good!!! its good that you defend your beliefs!!! however i am the kind of person that i will keep on comeing back LOL!!!!

i guess im kind of a instigator?!?! :wink: (doubtful that i spelled that right)
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Miakoda » March 15th, 2006, 2:21 pm

For the record, Lauren spent a year in a women's correctional institute (jail) & got I don't know how many years staying on parole. I think her actual jail sentence was longer, but she was out after a year for good behavior. :| I don't know.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 16th, 2006, 12:51 am

Romanwild wrote:Demo wrote:
The female students would be more likely to suffer long-term psychological damage.

Is that your opinion or is there a study or something to back that up?

It's not a issue of social power it's an issue of TRUST.

These are adults put into a very high position of trust with peoples children. They are supposed to protect them not smurf them. The difference in social opinion is secondary to the violation of trust. Why aren't people bothered by this?

Pedophiles continually put themselves in these positions. Teachers, boy scout leaders, church leaders, coaches.

The pubescent mind is still undeveloped. Especially the emotional part. Like Maryellen said. The damage might not be obvious but it's still there.

Not to mention your explanation puts women as the "weaker sex". :wink:

It's just my opinion. I know of no studies, but I could dig one or two up if I felt inclined. Likewise I'm sure there are other studies showing the opposite. That's one thing I hate about sociology; you can argue opposite points using the same data set and field research and every study can be refuted by another.

I never wrote that it is an issue of social power alone. It clearly is a complex issue. Trust certainly an important element.

From a legal perspective, what she did is wrong. From a moral one, what she did was wrong. From the perspective of social harm, I'm not so sure. It would be interesting to interview the students in ten years or so
to see if they feel that they suffered any trauma. I'd bet that they don't. Then again, men are generally so immature with regards to sexual matters that they would probably still be high-fiving each other and saying "Remember Mrs. So-and-So...she was HOT!!"

Women as the weaker sex? In many ways they are. But in others they are stronger than men. Depends on what we're talking about.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Previous

Return to Off-Topic