Freecycle!!!!!!!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby msvette2u » February 28th, 2006, 2:00 am

I advertised that I was looking for an aquarium and scored a 55gal. complete with a stand and all accessories!!!!!!! Even a sponge bob aquarium "toy" (YUK!).
I can't wait to get it all set up. I would like an Oscar. What is compatible with those?
We got a 10gal. too that I'm going to put dividers in and put my bettas in.
We had a 55gal. one a few years ago and it was going great but when we moved we gave it away because the place we were in was too small for it.
I'm so happy to have a big tank again.
We used to have Bala sharks and Rainbow sharks, and a pictus cat (my favorite).
Also what makes good "hardy" fish (that are cheap) to start the aquarium with?? I was thinking mollies or platys? Or guppies?
ETA: I guess I won't get an Oscar, as I'd like a few other fish as well :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 3:08 am

Wow, congrats! That's a nice score. :D

That tank is small for an Oscar anyhow, Yvette. I wouldn't put one in less than 75 gallons. I'm still waiting for the day when I can have one too! I just don't have room for a big tank.

Are you asking about fish to cycle the tank with, or to keep? (Guppies, etc) Are you familiar with cycling? If not, I can link you to an article or you can come to FnF.

Btw, I have a pic of the divider I made for my Betta tank if you want to see it.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 9:20 am

awesome score!!! i love freecycle, its sooo great to get free stuff..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 28th, 2006, 11:25 am

Yes I'd love to see the divider!! We're going shopping today for accessories to set the tank up and that was on the list of things to get!
We're familiar with cycling, we had a 40 gal. (not 55 as I stated before!) before and it was doing really well.
I was wondering about cheap, hardy fish to cycle the tank with, yes. I'd like to get it going good before adding the spendy ones ;) I want another pictus cat, and bala sharks maybe.
I'd love a link to F&F(??)

Here's a pic of our old aquarium we had to rehome :( when we moved into a smaller house. This one is a foot longer so I'm really excited to get started with it!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Hi,

That was a nice tank, Yvette! :D I had a 55 gallon with stand and an Eheim filter that I gave away one of the last times I moved. I wish I had it now!

Have you considered using BioSpira instead of fish for cycling? That's what I did with most of my tanks. Now, I use seeded media from my larger tank if I need to set up a new one. You may experience very slight readings for a few days with the BioSpira, but it's basically an instant cycle and you can add the fish immediately, although I wouldn't get them all at once because the nitrifying bacteria won't be established well enough to deal with all the ammonia, etc.

I hope it's ok to post the link to FnF, mods.
http://p076.ezboard.com/bflippersnfins

Here's a pic of one of the dividers I made for a 6 gal Eclipse. I used cross stitch plastic, which is less than $.40 per sheet. I happened to have some plastic from another tank divider, so I used that for the top, bottom and sides, but others have used the binders that you find on files. You can also use suction cups. I'm quite sure there's a how-to thread on FnF with pics of that.

Here's the divider in the tank before the fish and decorations.

HTH!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 4:24 pm

its fine to post the fish board dee.. what is the divider for?? why did you divide your tank in half?? how did you become so knowledgable with tanks???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Thanks, ME! :D

The divided tanks are for my Bettas. I lost the 2 that were in that tank, after feeding live blackworms, but still have a 10 gallon divided tank with 2 other males. I am keeping the other Bettas in 2.5g non-filtered tanks now.

I have learned a lot from being a mod on FnF. I can't get over the knowledge on that forum, especially the ER. It's an interesting hobby!

Come and visit us one of these days! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Romanwild » February 28th, 2006, 4:35 pm

I love the way white sand looks. Is it easier then rocks to clean?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Nooooooo! :o I loved the way it looked too, but I have an algae problem in that one tank that it now looks terrible. It's difficult to siphon as well, so it's tough to get the algae up. Maybe a coarser white sand would be easier. I use black tahitian moonsand in some of my other tanks and that's very easy to care for.

All in all, I like using sand, depending on the species I'm keeping. I can't use it with my frogs, so I use gravel in their tank.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 4:46 pm

i thought that was sand.... why sand? is it just for the bettas?? so i couldnt use sand for my pleco and koi then right??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 4:59 pm

It was purely an aesthetic decision in the Betta tank, but in my larger tank I use sand because I keep Corydora catfish and sand is kinder to their barbels.

You could certainly use sand for the Koi/Pleco if you like, but I would suggest a coarser sand. And, make sure it doesn't alter your PH. The white sand I used bumped my PH up, which was fine because it was part of the reason I bought it. Tahitian Moonsand doesn't alter PH.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 5:03 pm

um, i dont check the ph.. i know.. smack me now.... i just joined the fish forum.. i am jesse212 i cant figure out how to add a signature
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 5:07 pm

They don't allow sigs! :shock: (strict board)

Welcome! :D I'm on there now.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 5:09 pm

i am on now too
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I see you, lol. :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 5:22 pm

well say hello to me or something please... 8)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 5:29 pm

I did! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Do you remember the longest thread in the history of the internet? :D You used to be the one asking questions, now we are all asking you! That is too cool! You ahve learned soo much & come so far.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2006, 5:41 pm

OMG, remember that thread? :shock:

You, PL, John & some others really helped me when I got my first betta! What an addictive hobby! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » March 1st, 2006, 10:19 am

Thanks for the link! I will definately check it out. We got some bacteria starter. The old tank was doing really well, after we treated it, that is, when the new fish brought home fish sickness and we lost some :(
We ended up getting natural colored (tan and white) gravel, rounded rocks, not the blue or green rocks. It'll be nice. Part of it was on clearance! The plants we got were all on clearance. We tried live plants once, that may be what's in that tank, I don't remember, but once they brought home snails. We had snails all over!
So we're starting with fakies for now.
See you on the other board!! (Are you CinderDee there too!?)
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Off-Topic