My brother.............

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby turtle » February 23rd, 2006, 12:36 am

Blitzkrieg Staffords wrote:
gf turtle wrote:No kids here so we have revolvers under most sofas and under the bed in this house.

No kids here either, but I still don't see the need to have guns stashed all around my house. Are you dealing drugs, are you just an extremely paranoid person, or do you live in a really bad part of town? :|

Actually we live in a very good area of town.

But it is a big rambling house... A few years ago while we were in the middle of knocking down the middle of this house and rebuilding it, we had a big storm and the power went out for the night. It was Labor day weekend, we were home, but the old kitchen door did not always lock.

We found out the next day that we had an uninvited visitor... you could see a man's foot prints in the mud going around the back of the house, up the deck stairs, they opened that kitchen door, and then decided not to go any farther. They probably heard us talking or something, I know the dog did not bark.

We found out he checked out several other houses on our street and broke into another one that was empty that weekend. Pretty scary stuff.

We have since fixed that door and rebuilt the fence plus fenced in the front yard and put a lock on the gate to the deck. So, yes, we do keep handguns and a 12 gauge hidden in several different parts of the house... Better safe than sorry.

And no, I am not dealing drugs. I would not say I am extremely paranoid either. But if you have been brutalized in the past to the point where you thought you were going be killed, well, you might understand that I want security in that I have a chance to defend myself.

One other thing I might add. I was taught by my instructor that as a woman, you must be prepared to kill someone if you pull a gun on them. He said that most men see it as a challenge if a woman stands up to them with a gun and they will try to take it. If someone breaks into my home, they are intending to do me harm and I would not hesitate to shot them.

And a final thought. As a woman, I want a defense gun that I am comfortable with and know how to shot. One that I have shot a lot. That means a 38 revolver for me, as a bigger caliber does me no good, it has too much recoil and I would not be confident with it. I also have an old Colt Detective Special in 32 Colt New Police caliber which shots very nicely but it does not have the stopping power of the 38.

So bottom line, isn't it better to have a gun you are used to and have shot a lot, instead of one in a bigger caliber that you may not be as comfortable with? Your life could depend on it...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 23rd, 2006, 8:34 am

:goodStuff:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby DemoDick » February 24th, 2006, 1:06 am

So bottom line, isn't it better to have a gun you are used to and have shot a lot, instead of one in a bigger caliber that you may not be as comfortable with? Your life could depend on it...

Ultimately you need to shoot and carry what you can hit the target with. Having said that, I know of 120 pound women who can shoot large caliber hanguns with no problems. It's really a matter of training.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Previous

Return to Off-Topic