Lucky, the luckiet pit bull

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Michele » January 31st, 2007, 11:46 am

He's the beast!

Ex-con drops pup down 7th-floor chute

BY CHRISTINA BOYLE
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Police Officer Andrew Dorsett (l.) and Sgt. Rick Khalaf with 5-month-old puppy they rescued from apartment garbage compactor.

You lucky dog! A puppy tossed down a garbage chute from the seventh-floor was rescued alive by cops - and is now being adopted by one of New York's Finest.
The 5-month-old pooch, who has been named - what else? - Lucky, was pulled to safety with only minor scratches after being thrown into the trash in a fit of rage by his owner, Anthony Blow, cops said.

"You don't think I will do it?" Blow told Robin Hines, 28, the mother of his child, seconds before opening the door of the chute in her upper West Side building Sunday and dropping the dog down.

Blow took off, and Hines called the cops, police said.

Officers from the 20th Precinct and Emergency Service Unit used heavy machinery to break into the trash compactor room to get the pup out.

Lucky, a pit bull terrier mix who is deaf, spent almost an hour and a half in the basement of the Amsterdam Ave. building before he was rescued.

"We had to pull down the garbage in the chute to find the dog," said Sgt. Rick Khalaf, who assisted in the rescue with Officers Greg Fontaine, Alberto Natal and Christopher O'Brien and two ESU detectives.

"The trash was knee-deep on the floor. Rats were running everywhere, and then we saw him. He was encased in garbage, surrounded by bottles, food and the metal edges of cans, and just looked like he wanted to say, 'Hello everybody.' It could have been a terrible death."

Khalaf took the teeny canine back to the police station, where Officer Andrew Dorsett instantly offered to adopt the pooch.

"I just couldn't see him spending his life in a shelter and possibly being put down," Dorsett, 28, said. "He's so gentle and cute."

Hines told officers that before Blow tossed the dog they were arguing because she refused to provide him a place to stay after his recent release from jail.

Blow, 26, was arrested Monday and charged with torturing and injuring an animal, abandonment of a disabled animal and carrying an animal in a cruel manner.

"It's my property and I can do what I want with it," cops quoted him as saying after his arrest.

He was also charged with unlawful possession of marijuana.

Khalaf called Blow's alleged actions "totally heartless and cruel."

"It's a total disregard for another living being," Khalaf, 40, said. "It's typical to take animals to the Center for Animal Care and Control when we find them and then they are never to be seen again by us. I wanted him near so I could keep an eye on him."
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 31st, 2007, 12:06 pm

:headbanger: Thanks to the NYPD for rescuing and adopting him!

What scares me is the guy who threw the puppy down the chute also has children.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL