House Bill Addresses "Dog Bans" (Mississippi)

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 30th, 2007, 11:25 am

House Bill Addresses "Dog Bans"
Jackson, Miss.
Reporter: Wendy Suares

Several cities in Mississippi may have to nix proposed bans on certain breeds of dogs.

A bill filed in the state House of Representatives, if it should become law, would prohibit municipalities from having ordinances that single out specific dog breeds.

A group of dog owners objected last summer when the city of Clinton banned pit bulls and Rottweilers. Both breeds
have a reputation of being vicious.

Efforts to fight the ordinance have landed in court and now the state legislature.

"It's a concern to me, but I think it's a local issue," said State Rep. Greg Ward.

Ward is among committee members considering the bill that would prohibit cities and counties from passing or enforcing breed-specific ordinances.

Sen. Richard White represents Clinton, and says the issue doesn't belong in the state Legislature.

"I think the cities, they're the ones closest to the people. I don't think the state Legislature should be involved in it," White said.

Two separate lawsuits against Clinton's ordinance are pending in Hinds County Circuit Court.

Even supporters of state legislation plan to wait to see how the cases play out in court before taking action at the state Capitol.

"The legal system needs to work itself out, because judges’ rules have precedence over code sections," said Ward.

Lawmakers will hold off of the bill for now, but supporters say action could prevent future lawsuits across the state as more municipalities consider targeting certain types of dogs.

Clinton Mayor Rosemary Aultman talked about the proposed bill that could, if adopted, reverse her town's ordinance. She said she's confident it won't get support in the Legislature.

http://www.wtok.com/news/headlines/5403461.html

Mississippi House of Representatives

Mississippi Senate

Haley Barbour, Governor
1-877-405-0733
P.O. Box 139, Jackson, Mississippi 39205.

Amy Tuck, Lieutenant Governor
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL