Proposed ordinance banning pit bulls may fizzle out (Gilroy,

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2007, 11:16 am

Gilroy - City leaders will give a thumbs up or thumbs down later this month to a host of major policy ideas.

The topics will be discussed during two days of informal policy talks Jan. 26 and 27. The policy summit, held outside the formal confines of council chambers in City Hall, allows the seven members of Gilroy's top governing body to explore new policy ideas, hash out spending priorities and direct city staff on policy decisions. The meetings are a sort of cutting-room floor where ideas are born, develop and often die.

An ordinance banning pit bulls and other types of dogs perceived as dangerous may fizzle out and die at the end of the month. The nature-versus-nurture debate surrounding dangerous dogs has persisted for years, and local officials seems no closer to settling the issue for Gilroy.

"If you take a look at it, I think Chihuahua was the No.1 fiercest reported dog out in the city in recent years," Councilman Craig Gartman said. "You have dogs that attack people for whatever reasons, and the way that this has been proposed so far seems to be targeting different breeds. This is definitely something that needs a little more research. We need to make sure we are addressing the problem and not just … coming up with feel-good legislation."

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/cont ... p?c=203369
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL