Confiscated pit bulls terrorize local shelter

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 18th, 2007, 4:34 pm

The 72 volatile dogs, which can't be adopted, have bitten workers, cost taxpayers $60,000.

Staff Writer
Thursday, January 18, 2007

DAYTON — Scars mar the dogs' faces, forelegs and bodies. Several have slips of ears, sliced straight across, apparently with scissors. Most bark furiously at visitors, some propelling their muscled bodies several feet vertically into the air, banging against their cage bars, growling and baring their teeth.

Visitors are warned against touching them and told to remove coats that could brush against cages and be grabbed in a dog's strong jaws. Volunteers are reluctant to get near them.

Montgomery County is struggling to care for pit bulls seized last year in dogfighting investigations in Dayton

And people hunting for lost dogs are no longer allowed to freely patrol the corridors of the Montgomery County Animal Control Center's kennels because the 72 American pit bull terriers living there are so dangerous, said center director Mark Kumpf.

The dogs were confiscated in raids by Dayton police, starting in July, during suspected dogfighting investigations. The animals have been housed by the county — at a cost to taxpayers of about $60,000 as the cases go through the courts. Five Dayton men face felony dogfighting charges.

Meanwhile, center staff face a daily battle with some of the dogs. Several workers have been bitten, mostly breaking up fights between the dogs when they are removed from cages for cleaning or exercise, Kumpf said. Some shred hard plastic flooring in their cages, destroy drain covers and tear water bowls off the wall. Barriers are attached to several cages so the dog inside won't be driven to a frenzy by the sight of another dog.

The center is once again accepting stray animals, after putting cages and kennels in hallways and the garage. Built to hold about 100 dogs and cats, it now operates at 145 percent of capacity, and additional workers were hired to care for animals, Kumpf said.

The 72 pit bulls likely will be euthanized, although the county has held off because of the court cases. But they cannot be adopted out — Ohio law prohibits it for pit bulls — and they are too volatile to go to rescue groups, said Amy Wiedeman, director of administrative services.

"I don't feel that any of us would feel comfortable that these dogs should go anywhere," she said. "We believe they were primarily used for dogfighting. Rehabilitation for that, we don't think is going to happen."
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » January 18th, 2007, 8:06 pm

That's just great publicity for the breed. :eek1:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jenn » January 18th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Wow ~ apparently they are cooped up together, locked in cages with little to NO activity, and frustrated as hell. What exactly do these people expect? Poor dogs are acting out, and being labeled as vicious. :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby Miakoda » January 19th, 2007, 12:49 am

What makes it ok for them to throw several "fighting dogs" in a kennel together when they seemingly confiscated the owners for doing something similar? And IMO if you get bitten during a dogfight (with the exception of a dog turning & redirecting onto you), YOU did something wrong.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL