Pit bull mauls child

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Michele » December 21st, 2006, 11:14 am

Moultrie- A five-year-old Moultrie boy needed more than 30 stitches and countless staples to mend serious wounds after he was mauled by a pit bull. The boy's parents say he's lucky to be alive after the dog grabbed him by the leg and bite his face and head more than five times.

Several neighborhood children were playing Sunday in the Summer Heights neighborhood when they ventured into the Collins' back yard. Annissa Collins said the children had been warned to stay out of the yard because it agitates the dogs. That's when two-and-a-half-year-old Cinnamon got loose.

It's hard to believe the dog we saw cowering under a grate could cause such bite wounds to five year old NyRicky Nelson's head, face, hands, and chest.

NyRicky told his mom exactly what happened. "The dog broke the chain, I ran, trying to run to my daddy's house, the dog grabbed me by the leg, then the dog put my head in his mouth and was dragging me, Di came back then with rake," said Lashonda Hayes.

Children were playing Wednesday not far from where NyRicky was attacked. While three dogs were caged, Cinnamon was just tied to a tree when she pulled loose from her chain.

"He was full of blood, he had lacerations on his head, about five of them, head to toe nothing but blood," said his father Ricky Nelson.

The dog is being watched by the Moultrie, Colquitt County Humane Society because its rabies shot has expired.

"The rabies shot was last done two years ago, and in a case like that we have to keep the dog quarantined for 10 days," said Don Flowers, Moultrie, Colquitt County Humane Society Director.

Cinnamon's owners Annissa and Clarence Collins weren't home when the attack happened. They say the dog isn't usually bothered by people and hope to get Cinnamon back.

NyRicky's parents don't want that to happen, but if it does there will be rules. "I want the dog dead, if the dog don't die, it's going to be a whole lot more mess," said Hayes.

"First of all he's going to have to get extra insurance, to cover medical bills, he's going to have to keep it confined preferably in a cage, rather than on a leash," said Flowers.

The Humane Society plans to cite the Collins for not updating Cinnamon's shots. They say a rabies shot is only $14.00 ,and is a must for all dogs in Colquitt County. NyRicky is scheduled to go back to the doctor Thursday to have his wounds checked.
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby Michele » December 21st, 2006, 11:18 am

can someone move this to the News section....thanks... :)
Michele
Loyally Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL