Ferret, NOT pit bull, chewed off baby's toes

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby SisMorphine » December 20th, 2006, 12:46 pm

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5839156

BENTON, La. -- A woman jailed after four of her month-old daughter's toes were gnawed off says it was the family's pet ferret that did it, not their pit bull puppy.

"The way the bite marks were on her foot. The ferret being out of its cage. I knew it wasn't the dog," Mary Hansche told KTBS-TV on Tuesday.Hansche, 22, and her husband, Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, remained jailed in lieu of $50,000 bond each, booked with child desertion and criminal negligence. Their baby has been released from the hospital and is in state custody.The Hansches were asleep on a mattress on the floor and the baby in a carrier next to the mattress when they woke Dec. 10 because she was crying, Bossier City police have said.Attorney Pam Smart said she is waiting for results of a hair analysis to back up the couple's statement that they were not using drugs."This was an accident, very unfortunate accident. Hindsight is 20-20 and I'm sure the Hansches probably would say we would have done things differently looking back now," Smart said.She also said their bonds are too high for misdemeanors. A bond reduction hearing is scheduled next month.Both pets are in quarantine but show no sign of rabies, officials said.The puppy will remain at the animal control shelter until the court process is completed.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » December 20th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Un-freakin'-believeable.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » December 20th, 2006, 12:52 pm

HOLY SHIT!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » December 20th, 2006, 1:47 pm

:shock: Oh my.. I wonder if they have any proof it was the ferret and not the puppy after all? Geez.....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » December 20th, 2006, 1:53 pm

The marks from the teeth should prove/disprove it I'd think.

I'll be there won't be any "we're sorry we blamed the vicious Pit Bull" retractions on the news anytime soon.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lellis34 » December 20th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Anyone forward this to Nancy Grace (disGrace is more like it)?
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby SpiritFngrz » December 20th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Wow, that is something. Weird the ferret running loose in the house wasn't mentioned before. Regardless, the people are idiots and shouldn't have kids OR animals.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 20th, 2006, 4:40 pm

:shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » December 20th, 2006, 5:06 pm

On December 20 2006, 1:33 PM, lellis34 wrote:Anyone forward this to Nancy Grace (disGrace is more like it)?

I did I did!! I also asked if she was going to doa segment on evil baby eating ferrets.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » December 20th, 2006, 5:25 pm

On December 20 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:
On December 20 2006, 1:33 PM, lellis34 wrote:Anyone forward this to Nancy Grace (disGrace is more like it)?

I did I did!! I also asked if she was going to doa segment on evil baby eating ferrets.

rofl

That's awesome! Grrr... I am still holding out hope for some retractions!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby KaylasMomJenn » December 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I sure did as well. She disgusts me.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby IamaDick » December 21st, 2006, 12:41 am

Pitbull=Front page

Ferret=Page 10...you figure it out...

Bastards...
WWAASSUUPP!!!
IamaDick
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » December 21st, 2006, 11:49 am

Here is a slightly different story . . . interesting in how the parents completely disagree/contradict:

BENTON, La. — A woman jailed after four of her infant daughter's toes were gnawed off says the family's pet ferret did it, not their pit bull pup as police had said.

But her husband blames the dog, a city official said.

"The way the bite marks were on her foot, the ferret being out of its cage, I knew it wasn't the dog," Mary Hansche told KTBS-TV on Tuesday.

The month-old girl was injured Dec. 10 as Hansche, 22, and her husband, Christopher Hansche, 26, slept; they woke up when they heard her crying. The parents were jailed in lieu of $50,000 bond each, booked with child desertion and criminal negligence.

The husband had blamed the dog and told police the ferret had been in its cage all night, Bossier City spokesman Mark Natale said Wednesday.

The charges wouldn't change regardless of which pet was involved, Natale said, because the baby "was injured by an animal while in the custody of the parents." The girl has been released from the hospital and is in state custody.

Attorney Pam Smart said she is waiting for results of a hair analysis to back up the couple's statement that they were not using drugs, calling the case a "very unfortunate accident."
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SpiritFngrz » December 21st, 2006, 2:26 pm

yah something just doesn't add up here
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Marinepits » December 21st, 2006, 2:34 pm

Sounds to me like the husband hates the dog and thus blames it and the wife hates the ferret and thus blames it.

In reality they should be taking responsibility for the fact that they, as the parents, let this happen regardless of which animal actually chewed off the toes. They have absolutely NO EXCUSE for letting this happen to the baby. Accidents happen -- this was NEGLIGENCE.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wanderer » December 21st, 2006, 4:03 pm

Hmmm...I think I'm starting to see what really happened...it was the husband, not the ferrit or the dog!
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby brooksybrooks1 » December 22nd, 2006, 10:44 pm

ok, now...i'm as sorry as the next person that the baby had its toes chewed off, but lets be honest, if you met someone, lets say they are about 30 years old, and you notice that they are missing their toes, and you obviously ask what horrible accident caused this---birth defect, car accident, wild animals, dropped a knife? whatever...how hard would it be not to laugh if that person told you that a FERRET chewed them off! tragic, of course, but you got to admit, that kid is gonna grow up and WISH that he could say a pit bull chewed off his toes, but instead he's gonna know deep down inside that it was a ferret!
they should put that ferret in a zuit suit and put him on trial for his toe nibbling gone wrong! AND it must have taken FOREVER for a ferret to do that! what were the parents doing?!!!!! :P :|
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL