Another one for our side!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby mnp13 » December 8th, 2006, 2:08 am

Please drop the author an email AND the paper one for printing this!

author - sfosler@frontiernet.net
editor -
What's your view?
We welcome your comments. All submissions must include your name, address and daytime telephone number. Limit letters to 175 words. Letters to the editor, opinion and editorial columns, and articles submitted to the Democrat and Chronicle may be distributed in print, electronic and other forms.
Address: Letters to the Editor, Democrat and Chronicle, 55 Exchange Blvd., Rochester, NY 14614.
Letters: For questions about letters, call letters editor Max Anderson, (585) 258-2641
Speaking Out: To submit a longer essay, call Speaking Out editor M. Kathleen Wagner, (585) 258-2414
E-mail: dceditpage@DemocratandChronicle.com

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 39/OPINION

Don't blame dog for owners' behavior

By Stacy Fosler

(December 7, 2006) — In the response to the Nov. 20 essay by Andrew Dunning suggesting that all pit bulls in the city should be spayed or neutered, I must respond, "punish the owner, not the dog." The solution to the issue is not in restricting the breed.

Before creating new restrictions on dogs, how about enforcing some of the existing laws? Of all the dogs who attacked, how many were leashed? How many were licensed? Let's start with these first.

Spaying or neutering a dog will not necessarily prevent a dog from being involved in a fight, but being owned by a responsible owner will. The irresponsible owners will simply move to another breed. Even a pack of unsocialized, abused Chihuahuas can be dangerous.

In considering shelter or rescue dogs that should not be bred, why not spay or neuter them prior to adoption and factor the cost into the adoption fee instead of trusting that the adopter will alter the dog. Many groups now perform this as young as 8 weeks old. Many years ago, it was the German shepherds, then Dobermans and Rottweilers who were in favor for the "tough guys." Now it is the poor pit bull. Worse yet, many dogs identified as pit bulls really are not. It may be a white boxer, an American bulldog or a bullmastiff.

If a dog is involved in an unprovoked attack, require restrictions on that dog and owner regardless of the breed.

What about the responsible owners? Should those who compete in dog shows with dogs that have not been spayed or neutered be forced to move outside the city limits? What about those who are registered service dogs, or part of a therapy dog team bringing joy to those in hospitals and nursing homes?

Eighty-five percent of pit bulls put through a temperament test by the American Temperament Test Society have passed. There is a reason why the New York Department of Agriculture and Markets is not breed-specific — the breed of dog is not the issue.

Please address the issue where it really lies.

Fosler is a Rottweiler owner and the secretary of the Greater Rochester Rottweiler Club. Contact her at sfosler@frontiernet.net.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » December 8th, 2006, 7:34 am

DONE! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 8th, 2006, 10:16 am

AWESOME!!!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby brooksybrooks1 » December 22nd, 2006, 10:47 pm

well put.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » December 22nd, 2006, 11:53 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmyangels » December 22nd, 2006, 11:57 pm

That was great!!