need assistance/info on Miami/Dade Co.

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby LoveABull » December 4th, 2006, 11:50 am

we sold our house in NJ about 2 weeks ago, and are now down with my parents in Pensacola FL. there's no BSL here, but we want to go visit Key West for Christmas. problem is, Key West lies inside Dade Co.

we'll be going down in an RV, so if all else fails, we can hide Luna (and Solar, too, for that matter... he's muscular and short haired... he MUST be a pit bull! *eyeroll* ) inside and pray no one sees her on piddle breaks... but i've just been looking all over the net, and am having the devil's own time trying to find the EXACT wording of the code from Dade county restricting pit bulls. i want to know if i'm going to be in trouble for just going thru the area with my dog. i obviously live there, and am not going to MOVE there either, but will they give me grief for sitting on the beach with my dog for Christmas? :?
LoveABull
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » December 4th, 2006, 1:26 pm

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LoveABull » December 4th, 2006, 2:28 pm

well, that gave me some info i wanted. (i'm most likely gonna have to buy poor Luna (and probly Solar too) a muzzle. like she needs it :( ) but it doesn't really say anything about people traveling thru with a pit bull. it only talks about buying, breeding, or bringing one into the county (to live) :|

well. wish me well and keep your fingers crossed around Christmastime
LoveABull
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » December 4th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Try calling the Dade County Sherriff's Office or whoever their animal control office is -- maybe the Florida State Dept. of Agriculture?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » December 6th, 2006, 12:16 am

5-17 Pit Bull Law

It is illegal in Miami-Dade County to own any dog which substantially conforms to a pit bull breed dog, unless it was specially registered with Miami-Dade County prior to 1989. Acquisition or keeping of a pit bull dog: $500.00 fine and County Court action to force the removal of the animal from Miami-Dade County. ONLY an Animal Services Investigator trained in pit bull identification will determine if the dog conforms to pit bull breed standards.
a-bull
I live here

Postby LoveABull » December 9th, 2006, 5:21 pm

yeah, i found that info already. i'm not staying there, nor am i moving there. i just wanted to know if i could lounge on the beach at Key West for Christmas without having the locals harass me about my dogs. i can't seem to find anything regarding dogs traveling THRU and not staying.
LoveABull
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » December 9th, 2006, 7:27 pm

I would think an area with BSL laws would be LESS than HAPPY to have visitors vacationing with their dogs ~ especially if they are not muzzled.

Personally, I would not chance it and I would use the muzzles. Sorry ~
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL