BSL: Not just for pit bulls

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby SisMorphine » October 4th, 2006, 8:24 am

Not sure if anyone on here knows, but Greyhounds are the equivilent of the APBT in Australia. There is BSL regarding Greys everywhere in Australia. And now with this story, it is going to set the BSL fight back a looooooooooong way for them. It is pack mentality. Especially when you have 4 dogs who are already a solidified pack, who are a hunting breed, who are offleash and then set up to fail by being presented with a tasty little snack? And it's been reported that his dogs attacked another dog just two weeks prior and had killed a neighbor's cat a little while ago. This irresponsible a-hole is going to be the death of the Greyhound as a loving house pet and family member in Australia.

Dog owner charged over previous attack
October 4, 2006 - 1:58PM

The owner of four greyhounds that killed a lap dog on a Melbourne beach today is to be charged by his local council over a dog attack just over two months ago.

"(The charge) relates to failure to effectively control a dog and the incident involved a number of greyhounds and an attack that was not fatal on another dog,'' Kingston City Council chief executive John Nevins said.

It was unclear whether the ex-racing greyhounds had been through an approved "gap'' program to domesticate them and determine whether they had to be muzzled in public.

There were conflicting reports about how many, if any, of the dogs were wearing muzzles or leads.

"If this person had followed the law and had his dogs on leads, it is very unlikely they would have attacked the smaller dog, and it is unlikely they would have attacked the owner of the small dog,'' he said.

The dogs have been impounded.

Mr Nevins said if the man had breached the law he could be prosecuted and the council would seek orders to have the dogs destroyed.

'They ripped his insides out'

The owner of the lap dog, Carol Ewing, aged in her 50s, was bitten on the face and arms as she tried to pull Tokay, her five-year-old Italian greyhound, free of the four dogs that mauled him to death at Bonbeach, in Melbourne's south, about 5.30am today.

"I was fortunate the dog missed my tendon," Ms Ewing told 3AW this morning. "I came out a lot better than my dog. He was mauled by the four greyhounds."

She said only one of the dogs wore a leash. Her own dog was off its leash, as is permitted on the beach at certain times of year.

"They didn't have muzzles on," she said. "I (see) them on the beach quite often."

The woman suffered cuts to her face and arms and was taken to Frankston Hospital.

The woman said she had made several complaints about the dogs to Frankston Council, once after an incident in which they killed a neighbours' pet.

"They had killed a cat. Council wasn't able to do anything. They mauled a neighbour's cat and I reported it to the council. This was about three years ago."

She described her shock at the suddenness of today's attack.

"I was just walking along, went to drop his droppings in the bin. He just ran over to them, because he knows them.

"(Then) they were just mauling him and I just couldn't hold off four greyhounds. I wanted to saved him but I couldn't.

"We couldn't do anything. I tried. That's when I got bitten on the arm.
"It's not something I ever thought I'd experience, you know. You read about it and think `It won't happen to me', and there you go, it does. There has been complaints and nothing's been done."

'You can't blame the dogs'

Greyhound Racing Victoria chief executive John Stephens said the man was a registered greyhound owner and trainer.

"While we have to afford this person natural justice, it has to take its course, and obviously there will be lots of questions asked at a council level and at a Greyhound Racing Victoria level,'' he told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

RSPCA president Dr Hugh Wirth said the owner deserved to be jailed.

"He should feel the full weight of the law, including jail time, to send the message that it's not appropriate to behave like that,'' Dr Wirth said.

"Those dogs should have been leashed and muzzled.''

But Ms Ewing said she did not believe the dogs should be put down.

"I can't pass judgement on that. You know, you can't blame the dogs. Perhaps if they're muzzled or leashed, I don't know."

Tokay was buried today in Ms Ewing's yard.

AAP, with theage.com.au

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 55335.html
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 4th, 2006, 8:33 am

I had no idea greys were on BSL lists...what is a "gap" program to "domesticate" them? Is Wally domesticated or is he still a feral beast? :wink:

And they made it such a point to say the greys were off-leash, yet the lady's own little dog, which RAN UP TO THE GREYS, was off-leash as that is permitted at certain times of the year. Perhaps if she had control of her little dog this wouldn't have happened. I'm of course sorry for her loss, but no need to slam a whole breed for this. Craziness.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » October 4th, 2006, 8:52 am

GAP is a Greyhound Adoption Program. And I kept half laughing/half being shocked that they were saying that these programs "domesticate" Greyhounds. As far as I know they're not feral . . . but whatever. Either way the GAP program does the same thing there that Greyhound adoption does here: the dogs are fostered out to experienced homes who do a lot of environmental socialization since they have never been in a house before, never seen stairs, don't know what glass doors are, don't know any flooring other than cement and grass . . . it takes a lot to socialize a Grey who is just off the track . . . but I wouldn't say they need to be "domesticated."

Either way, in Australia if the dog has been through the gap program then they do not need to be muzzled in public, but they do need to be leashed at all times. If they are still on track, or if they were adopted straight from the track and never went through a gap program (the owner involved is a trainer so these dogs were his from the track, never went through gap), they must be muzzled in public and again leashed at all times.

People see Greyhounds on the street in Australia and they will cross to the other side. Their stigma is of a vicious killing machine over there . . . whereas over here they're supposedly the wuss of the dog world (don't tell Wally that). It's just craziness, and it really should go to prove to people that ALL breeds are capable of attacks like this, of pack mentality, and it's about proper handling and ownership and NOT the breed of dog.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » October 4th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Wow, I had NO idea. :o
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » October 4th, 2006, 6:07 pm

her five-year-old Italian greyhound

Anyone else find that hilarious?
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 4th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Oh I sooo snickered! Damned greyhounds... :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » October 4th, 2006, 11:38 pm

I can see how greyhounds get targeted... apparently any dog with prey drive will "attack a child next!" :o

The lack of reasoning in people never fails to make me sad.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL