ATTN: SOUTHERN LOUISIANA RESIDENTS!! BSL Proposed!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Miakoda » August 14th, 2006, 5:35 pm

http://www.ascensioncitizen.com/article ... ogcomments

Gonzales mulls dog ban
By Aaron E. Looney The Ascension Citizen
Published: Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:41 AM CDT
E-mail this story | Print this page

After hearing from local residents, including one woman whose son was attacked by a pit bull, the Gonzales City Council will discuss possibly banning possession of the breed of dog in the city limits, as well as Rottweilers, at its next meeting, scheduled for Aug. 21.

The council voted to delay action on the matter until it could further research what such a ban would entail.

The topic came after Gonzales Mayor Johnny Berthelot received a letter from local resident Lynn Burgett, whose son was recently attacked by a loose pit bull.

"I need the city to, if they will, ban pit bulls and Rottweilers," Burgett said.

Some residents, including Harold LaCour, said that blame should not be on the dogs, but on owners who mistreat the dogs.

"Don't let the breed of dog decide if you ban it or not," LaCour said.

John Hebert said that he owns a Rottweiler for protection, and that the dog is trained not to be vicious.

"What's going to happen to my dog if this ordinance goes through," Hebert asked. "Am I going to have to put it to sleep? A burglar alarm doesn't have teeth."
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Miakoda » August 14th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Although I actually don't live within the Gonzales city limits, I live right outside them in a neighboring city which I'm sure the BSL will overflow to since we're all considered Gonzales to most peopel. Anyways, I'm already working on a posterboard with a "Pick the Pit Bull" exhibit & have my articles & stats printed out. I have also recruited 2 veterinarians whom I work with that will also attend the meeting with me along with about 9-10 people thus far...including my neighbor who used to be deathly afraid of pit bulls but now wants to voice her opinion (on how she loves mine!!! :D ).

Anyways, we are going to fight this. Oh yeah, Ascension Parish doesn't even have a leash law so it's not against the law to let pets run around off leash (we are an extremely rural area but growing in popularity) so how in the hell would they enact a breed ban when they can't even enforce/fund a damn leash law? That's going to be my suggestion.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » August 14th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Good luck! That sucks...
Jenn
undecided

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL