Athletes for Animals

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby fenella » December 26th, 2009, 9:25 pm

I wasn't sure if this fit on the Vick thread or not, so I put it here...
I read something about this organization started by Chris Cooley from the Redskins to
"Helping Charities That Teach Kids To Value & Respect Animals", in particular two DC area humane education programs (right now, it is all DC area athletes involved).
I think it is nice for athletes to take a stand and sign on to try to PREVENT animal cruelty. According to the website, http://www.athletesforanimals.com/, you enter a free drawing for autographed schwag from the athletes, and for every entry the sponsoring companies donate $1 to the humane education programs.
Thought it'd be good to post some GOOD news to this thread.
Disclaimer: I don't know anything particular about the charities, so maybe someone will disagree with me. If you need to move this post, feel free.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 28th, 2009, 8:33 am

I like the idea of teaching children to have respect for animals.

There was a teenager in my school who had a hoodie that glamorized Pit Bull fighting. I jumped right on that one and had the social worker and myself speak with him. He said his uncle ran a "small fighting ring" and it was his "company sweatshirt logo". The kid really didn't understand because it was always part of his environment. We contacted the police and squashed THAT business endeavor. The boy actually thanked us later, saying he never thought of the animals as "real animals" so to speak, because he was raised with dog fights and cock fights all the time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 9:24 am

iluvk9 wrote:I like the idea of teaching children to have respect for animals.

There was a teenager in my school who had a hoodie that glamorized Pit Bull fighting. I jumped right on that one and had the social worker and myself speak with him. He said his uncle ran a "small fighting ring" and it was his "company sweatshirt logo". The kid really didn't understand because it was always part of his environment. We contacted the police and squashed THAT business endeavor. The boy actually thanked us later, saying he never thought of the animals as "real animals" so to speak, because he was raised with dog fights and cock fights all the time.

:clap: :rock: :helloClap:

good for you, Joyce!!!

Such a Horrible Shame..... :cry:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL