Pit Bulls, Parolees and Prostitutes

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Jackuul » August 15th, 2009, 4:49 am

Champion of underdogs saves pit bulls, parolees

http://www.kval.com/news/national/53175182.html

By SUE MANNING, Associated Press Writer
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Pit bulls and parolees. Tia Maria Torres has opened her heart and home to the unwanted.

On 17 acres in the rugged terrain of Canyon Country, Torres provides a place to live or work for six parolees, 225 pit bulls, 204 volunteers, two French bulldogs, 19 cats, a husband and four kids.

Torres, 49, started Villalobos Rescue Center - the largest pit bull rescue in the United States - 14 years ago. She added ex-cons three years ago with prison pen pal and tattoo artist Aren Marcus Jackson, who would become her second husband.

But the rescue's been a money pit requiring creative financing. She tried to open a brothel to pay the bills, but it burned down. So now she's turning to reality TV - Animal Planet's "Pit Bulls and Parolees," which airs next month - to help cover the $20,000 in monthly bills (including a ton of dog food a week) and an ever-growing $25,000 vet tab.

If it had worked out otherwise, she jokes the show would have been called "Pit Bulls, Parolees and Prostitutes."

Read Moar[sic]

That would have been a great title for a show if she did open a brothel, but my goodness, at over 200 pitbulls you know she's dedicated. This, in my opinion, is a great way to not only help the dogs, but also rehab some of the felons and criminals in the system, so that maybe they don't go back and saves cash for it in the long haul. They need more. Much much more.

I'm not saying every criminal should be paired with a pit (good god no) but those who are (and make up a huge part of) in prison/jail for marijuana use would probably be a good group to spring out since its a waste of cash to hold a pothead in a cell with hardened criminals and such. My opinions on drugs/law/rehab aside, I think it is wonderful for the dogs to have people care for them, and give them a chance.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 15th, 2009, 8:50 am

As a Parole Officer I think this is a fantastic idea! So many people won't give these guys a chance.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » August 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm

yep, its a good idea all around.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » August 15th, 2009, 10:26 pm

My Hat off to HER!!!!!!!!
:D
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby ViSuvius » October 27th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Hi again everyone, thanks for all the warm welcomes. So this show premieres this Friday night (Oct. 30) on Animal Planet @ 10pm. The episode that my husband and I (and our dog Uggi) filmed will air November 6 @ 10PM. I am all of a sudden incredibly nervous about this. More nervous than I have ever been. It's a strange feeling for me. Although we filmed the episode, we will see the fnal cut when everyone else does. :oops:
ViSuvius
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 27th, 2009, 1:16 pm

How exciting!!! :clap:

Please make sure to remind us when your episode is on! I can't remember what happened five minutes ago, LOL. :rolleyes2: :oops: :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2009, 3:47 am

Marinepits wrote:How exciting!!! :clap:

Please make sure to remind us when your episode is on! I can't remember what happened five minutes ago, LOL. :rolleyes2: :oops: :D

me neither, Jen :itsOK:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Klopfer » October 28th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I wish I could see it :(
They say "fighting dogs" grab on and never let go; and it's the truth! Smokey grabbed my heart and never let go.

http://www.schuldig-geboren.de
Klopfer
Just Whelped

Postby philthepain » October 28th, 2009, 6:35 pm

i got this set to record on my dvr :mrgreen:
philthepain
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 31st, 2009, 8:21 am

Anyone watch last night?

We did -- interesting program. Looking forward to how the story unfolds.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » October 31st, 2009, 8:40 am

I saw it and liked it. I'll definitely be watching every week.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby kera09 » October 31st, 2009, 8:42 am

me and eric watched it with duge ava lulu and 9 week old foster puppy, it was good! i plan on watching every week!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ViSuvius » October 31st, 2009, 4:24 pm

Watched it. Loved it, but of course I already knew I would! The producers are very dedicated as is Tia and everyone else up there. It did break my heart that they had to put Rock down. He was usch an awesome dog!

I hope our episode next week is as good. Although I keep reading the descripton of our episode on animalplanet.com

"Pit Bulls and Parolees
Redemption
TV-PG
A parolee is assigned a difficult adoption case featuring a cast of renaissance fair pirates looking to add a pit bull to their crew. And Tia's husband faces a bail hearing after an 18-month wait."

and I keep looking at Uggi and thinking what did you do that made them say you were "difficult".
I mean here at home he's a great big lap dog (cuz it's such a surprise that any pit bull is a lap dog! *LOL*) But I have no idea what he could have done at the rescue that earned him the label as "difficult" I guess I'll see next week along with the rest of the world. ...and if he's difficult it's the producers' fault...they are the ones that made him a Rockstar"! :wink:
ViSuvius
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » October 31st, 2009, 5:01 pm

I watched it and of course cried several times during it. I love all the dogs. Even Outlaw cracked me up how happy he was to get out and try to "outrun" everyone.
Bella Donna has stolen my heart.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » October 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm

madremissy wrote: Even Outlaw cracked me up how happy he was to get out and try to "outrun" everyone.

:giggle: We were cheering him on!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby kera09 » November 1st, 2009, 10:10 am

i would love to take a vacation and go there, and volunteer for a couple days, some vacation huh? i think it would be awesome tho!
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » November 1st, 2009, 8:04 pm

kera09 wrote:i would love to take a vacation and go there, and volunteer for a couple days, some vacation huh? i think it would be awesome tho!

I'm with ya Kera, there and Best Friends Sanctuary in Utah.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby kera09 » November 2nd, 2009, 12:31 am

ahhh yes best friends.....lets do it! lol
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Dukes_mom » November 2nd, 2009, 9:10 am

After watching this show I was so jealous of those parolees.

Marinepits wrote:
madremissy wrote: Even Outlaw cracked me up how happy he was to get out and try to "outrun" everyone.

:giggle: We were cheering him on!

I was to, I was laughing and telling him to run run run.

I wonder if they ever take them out on walks? I mean if they don't think of how much energy they must have built up.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » November 6th, 2009, 11:25 pm

:bump:

Uggi's story is on now!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL