Good news for Parker!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » January 18th, 2006, 10:56 am

I was so bummed over the Lone Tree news, I had to go see what happened with Parker. At least one victory!

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local ... 82,00.html

Parker cages pit bull ban

Breed-specific laws criminalize dog, not owner, says critic
rint
By John Aguilar, Rocky Mountain News
January 18, 2006
PARKER - To exuberant applause, the Town Council yanked a proposed pit bull ban from consideration Tuesday night.

Town leaders opted instead to work on toughening their existing vicious dog regulations rather than specifically targeting pit bulls.

The 6-0 vote came after dozens of residents condemned the proposed pit bull ordinance in public testimony.

One man likened restrictions on the animals to the relocation of American Indians to reservations and Japanese-American citizens to internment camps during World War II.

A woman told town leaders that breed-specific legislation, like a pit bull ban, criminalizes the animal rather than the dog's owner. She walked away from the podium holding a sign that read, "Stop Racial Profiling."

"Any dog, regardless of breed, is only as dangerous as its owner allows it to be," said Parker resident Byron Ferguson.

Several residents pleaded with the council members not to succumb to hysteria created by media reports about pit bull maulings, saying the number of pit bull attacks is exaggerated and sensationalized.

"It is fashionable in certain municipalities to follow in a herd mentality," said resident Bill Denny.

Councilman Jack Hilbert, who sponsored the ordinance, said he was still concerned about Parker becoming a dumping ground for pit bulls restricted from other metro-area communities.

But he did not think the single breed focus ultimately was the right approach.

"What has come to light is that there are other breeds just as dangerous, so we need an ordinance that addresses all vicious dogs," he said.

Parker would have joined Commerce City and Aurora in banning new pit bulls and placing severe restrictions on the ones already living there. Denver has an all-out ban on pit bulls.

Parker's ordinance not only would have banned new pit bulls in town but would have required owners of existing pit bulls to license, vaccinate, neuter and implant an identifying microchip in their animals. A $100,000 liability policy on the dogs also would have been required.

Other language in the ordinance would have required pit bull owners to muzzle their dogs and keep them on a 4-foot leash in public. While at home, they would have to keep the dogs in a pen while outside.

"One way to make a dog mean is to kennel him, muzzle him, cage him and not let him get any exercise," said Kurt Schleser, who lives near Parker.

Christy Beyerly, a Parker resident, was the lone citizen to speak in favor of the ordinance. Her next- door neighbor owns a pit bull.

"I am just terrified that that dog is going to jump that split-rail fence and attack my 2-year-old child or me," she said.

---------------------------------

From someone who attended the meeting (crossposted from pit bull BAND):

"Hi Everyone,

Just got back from tonight's council meeting in Parker, CO. Every council member denied the motion for a proposed breed ban !!!

It was so incredible! Everyone who got up to speak against the ban gave calm, informed heartfelt speeches that really gave the council a lot to think about. Every council member had been flooded with information prior to the meeting. Orignally, the town council was leaning towards banning new pits or bully breeds from coming to Parker.

At the end, it was decided to throw out the entire ordinance and form a citizens group that could help develop a vicious dog ordinance instead. Maybe this will help all those other cities in Colorado overturn their bans or think twice before enacting a ban breed!

I can't thank all of you enough for your help and your support. This is HUGE ! Everyone stood up to clap and cheer at the end of the meeting. It was so unreal !

Does anyone know what happened in Lonetree tonight? Lakewood here we come !!

Kay O'Connor"
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 18th, 2006, 11:06 am

Woohoo!!! At least someone has some sense!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » January 18th, 2006, 11:09 am

That's that way to do it! :thumbsup:

I just hope that one idiot doesn't come back with a list of breeds instead. A "dangerous dog" law is the way to go.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby ammitnme » January 19th, 2006, 5:41 am

Rockmart Georgia also went with DD law last night. They were fired up for BSL in September....
Polite, educational alternatives to BSL DO make a difference sometimes!!!
Leisa

Loveland Colorado also went with DD law...
ammitnme
Just Whelped

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » January 19th, 2006, 11:09 am

Awesome! :D

Polite, educational alternatives to BSL DO make a difference sometimes!!!

Thank goodness! It's great to know that citizens can be effective!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL