*UPDATE* Donations Roll In For 8 Abandoned Dogs in Phoenix

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Marinepits » June 3rd, 2009, 8:28 pm

Video on website: http://www.abc15.com/content/living/pet ... tl24A.cspx

Donations roll in for 8 abandoned dogs in central Phoenix
Reported by: Tim Vetscher
Email: tvetscher@abc15.com
Last Update: 6/01 12:57 pm

PHOENIX -- After their new owners issued a plea for help Sunday, donations for eight abandoned pets began rolling in, and continue to come in today.

The pit bull dogs unexpectedly landed in the laps of brothers Curtiss and Chris Taylor recently, although certainly not by choice.

"I really can't afford to take care of them but I don't want to see them starve either," admitted Chris Taylor.

Chris and Curtiss say officials with INS recently deported their neighbor who owned the dogs, leaving the pit bulls behind to fend for themselves.

With their owner no longer around to care for them, the dogs developed a host of health problems.

"Four dogs need shots," added Chris Taylor. "They need to be spayed. They're full of ticks. We're trying to get all the ticks off 'em we can."

The Taylors brought the dogs to the Humane Society and several other shelters but claim nobody would take them.

So Chris and Curtiss have been taking it upon themselves to feed and groom the dogs, a pricey proposition considering neither of them have jobs.

"I've been unemployed for 11 months," admitted Curtiss Taylor. "I'm not in a position to take care of these dogs time-wise or money-wise."

"I was laid off two weeks ago," added Chris Taylor. "I'm on unemployment looking for work. We can't take care of them."

Chris and Curtiss hope to find eight new owners, people who can take care of the dogs once and for all.

"I want to find them a good home," said Curtiss Taylor. "I think they deserve a good home."

Because up until now, a good home is something the Taylors say the dogs haven't had.

On Monday, Curtiss Taylor said a generous donor dropped off 150 pounds of dry dog food and a case of wet dog food.

Several other donors have made monetary donations to both he and his brother as well as a local Veterinarian for care of the dogs.

If you're interested in adopting one or more of the dogs, contact Chris Taylor at 602-348-6868 or Curtiss Taylor at 602-622-0223.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 3rd, 2009, 8:33 pm

From the BadRap Blog comments section:

http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/
The spay/neuter issue is covered... I spoke to Chris, and he has already given two of the dogs away. He has 5 dogs of his own, and the burden of eight additional pit bulls is too much for him to handle, regardless of the contributions he has received. He does not have any sort of screening process and is willing to give these dogs to anyone who calls and says they want a pit bull. Tomorrow, I am hoping I can set up some type of screening process to ensure these dogs go to good and safe forever homes.. I have only been able to find one so far. He is anxious to get rid of them as he can't handle them long-term.. There is only one pit bull rescue in Phoenix and they are offering to help spay/neuter, but only have a spot to foster one dog. I am going tomorrow to try and evaluate which one will work best in the provided home, being that I know both dogs that currently reside in the house he/she will be living.
I am just very concerned that these dogs are going to be sent to anywhere, to whoever calls and says they want a free pit bull... Ideas on what to tell or advise Chris tomorrow when I see him?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 4th, 2009, 3:50 am

odd that someone would help them and then just discard them.... :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 4th, 2009, 9:14 am

Sad all around... :(
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2009, 7:54 pm

From the BadRap blog:

Hey All,

Just an update on the dogs-
We have managed to get all of the dogs washed and de-ticked (they had over 200 ticks per dog, poor things). They have had their shots, big thanks to a donation.. And, they will all be getting fixed on Monday. I have been able to get one fostered already, and also had the lady who administered the shots take one as well. We are still working on finding homes for the parents, and four of the remaining puppies. But, they are enjoying living inside and away from the hot AZ sun for the first time ever! Thankfully, the man who took them in has A LOT of dog knowledge, and after spending the day with him, I don't think they could have fallen into the lap of a more wonderful person. We have had donations for food and vet care, and are doing the best we can to find good homes. The older male dog has some kind of absess on his back foot that we are trying to treat, but we are taking it day by day and learning a lot from these wonderful little guys. People have donated so many items for them which has helped a lot.. We might even have an overflow of crates to send off to BadRap!
Thank you to everyone who commented and had something to say about this. This is my first opportunity to help hands on, and although you see how ugly people can be- you also realize how many people care and are willing to help out. I am off to go see the foster puppy, Dharma and check in on how she is acclimating to her new owners and brothers/sisters. Again, thank you to everyone and especially to Donna!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2009, 4:36 am

that worked nicely :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL