Pit bull attacks four in Peabody

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2009, 5:15 pm

This is the town right next to where I work. Crap.

http://salemnews.com/punews/local_story_099233203.html
Pit bull attacks four in Peabody
By Bruno Matarazzo Jr.
Staff Writer

PEABODY — An out-of-control pit bull mauled two women inside a mobile home on Route 1 and attacked a police officer trying to save them yesterday.

The women and the officer were taken by ambulance to Salem Hospital with injuries.

One woman was airlifted to a Boston hospital, and the second woman was undergoing surgery at Salem Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

A third woman, who residents say is the live-in girlfriend of the dog owner, was taken to the hospital with an injury to her back, according to neighbors.

The attack happened shortly before 5 p.m. at Mobile Estates at lot number 44. Neighbors said the victims were friends of the dog owner's girlfriend.

Kellyann Soye, 21, said she was pulling up her car at her friend's home across the street from where the attack took place when she saw the girlfriend outside screaming.

"She said, 'Help me! The dog's attacking my friends,'" Soye said.

Outside, there was blood everywhere. Neighbors called police.

Soye said she and her friends could only wait outside as they heard the women inside "screaming bloody murder."

Patrolman William Swaczyk was the first to arrive on the scene and found the dog pinning one woman to the floor, according to police Lt. John McCorry.

"He punched the dog a few times, and the dog turned on him," McCorry said of Swaczyk. The woman was able to get out of the home when the animal turned on Swaczyk.

"Once the dog latched on, he started punching him and doing anything he could to get the dog to release him," McCorry said.

At the same time, the third woman was found hiding inside a room and was helped out by Patrolmen Mark Bettencourt, Leo Cunha and Tony Santos. The officers broke a window to free the woman.

The dog owner, identified by police as Brian Stevens, 27, arrived on scene shortly afterward and was able to secure the pit bull in its cage, McCorry said.

An animal control officer arrived at the scene and first removed a dog inside the girlfriend's car. The girlfriend's dog was not involved in the attack but was taken away because the women were taken to the hospital.

Police identified the victims as Cassandra Osgood, 23, of Danvers; Sarah Malave, 24, of Middleton; and Jamie Brickman, 27, of Peabody.

Police left the scene but returned a short time later to seize the pit bull.

Stevens, his eyes welled up with tears, walked out of the home with the dog on a leash and got it into a cage in the back of an animal control officer's cruiser.

The dog resisted going into the cage and started rattling around once the cage was locked.

Stevens declined to comment.

McCorry said the dog will be held for a time, but he did not know what its fate will be.

Neighbors were relieved to the see the dog taken away.

Colleen Marshall lives two homes down from where the attack occurred. Her pant leg was bloodied from helping one of the victims outside the home.

"They should have shot the dog long before they got the girl out of there," Marshall said. "There are tons of kids on this street."

McCorry said once the dog latched onto Swaczyk he was unable to use his gun to shoot the animal.

Swaczyk suffered an injury to his arm; he was treated at Salem Hospital and released, according to McCorry.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Mickle » April 10th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Fanfreakintastic!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby demolitionic » April 11th, 2009, 3:27 am

"Latched on".

But hey, it's a pit bull in a trailer park! Let's expect awesome abound.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2009, 2:56 pm

So OF COURSE today started a new class here at work (we have a trainer that rents space from us) and a woman with a St. Bernard comes out of the class because she is terrified of the pit bull in her class and she needs to compose herself because her dog is feeding off of her. She told me her mother's dog was killed by a pit bull, another friend's dog was attacked, and I'm not going to say those aren't valid concerns as, admittedly, I've been wary of Rotties since Wally was attacked. So whatever, I talk to her a bit, she mentions pit bull attacks in the news, and of course this one. I brought up the fact that "pit bull attack" sells news, "Lab Attack" doesn't. Blah blah blah. Nice lady, just nervous.

So she goes back in the room and I look at the screen, realizing that there isn't even a pit bull in the class! It's a Bull Terrier *face palm*

So then as she is leaving I tell her it's a BT, and we go into a little bit of the differences between the dogs, again super nice lady, was taking it all in, and she leaves. About 20 seconds later my staff member with his pit bull come walking in. Which means that they passed on our walkway. Which means that he screamed and barked like a total smurfing lunatic at the lady and her dog as they passed (he's a nice dog, just a smurfing loud mouth). FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! :mad2:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BritneyP » April 11th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Tell Cassius to keep his little trap shut! He's not helping matters! :rolleyes2: :wink:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL