FLINT TOWNSHIP, Michigan Sen. John Gleason of Flushing worki

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Sen. John Gleason of Flushing working to stop release of pit bull that is allegedly threatening Flint Township neighborhood
by RoNeisha Mullen | The Flint Journal
Wednesday August 13, 2008, 7:28 AM
FLINT TOWNSHIP, Michigan -- A pit bull that attacked a Flint Township woman and allegedly killed three cats and injured others could be released to its owner in just a few days.

State Sen. John Gleason, D-Flushing, is on a campaign to protect Miller Farms subdivision residents from the dog.

Today, Gleason met with neighbors to call for the permanent removal of the dog.

"If this thing is attacking people in their home, imagine what it'll do to a child walking down the street," Gleason said. "We can't have these dogs running the streets. They have to be kept under control."

Mary Conaton, interim chief at the Genesee County Animal Control Department, said the dog was picked up by animal control Aug. 6 for biting a person.

Gleason said neighbors told him the dog charged through the screen door of a home on Lewis Road and attacked the owner and her cat.

Conaton said the department can't euthanize the dog without a judge's order.

"There has to be a court order to put it down," Conaton said. "Without that, all we can do is hold it for 10 days and return it to its owner."

All the owner has to do is pay a $9-a-day fee for boarding and care, $15 for a rabies shot and $40 for a license, and the dog is free, Conaton said.

The dog's owner hasn't claimed it yet, and after the 10 holding days are up, the department can euthanize the dog if it is not claimed, she said.

The Legislature says dogs may be put down immediately only if they cause serious injury or death to another dog or person.

Gleason is examining the law and may seek to expand it.

"If the records show this dog has attacked people, I'm going to do everything I can to see that it's put down," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index ... ing_w.html

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL