Whitehall, Ohio City Approves Restrictions On Dangerous Dogs

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » July 4th, 2008, 1:23 am

City Approves Restrictions On Dangerous Dogs

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2008 - 05:24 PM

By Denise Yost
E-mail | Biography

WHITEHALL, Ohio -- A Central Ohio city council approved an ordinance on Monday that would place tight restrictions on dangerous and vicious dogs.

In April, two Whitehall Pit Bulls got loose from behind their gate and attacked another dog and his owner, NBC 4's Mikaela Hunt reported.

The owner's daughter worried that the city would use the incident to pass legislation against vicious dogs and she didn't want that to happen, saying she believed it was an accident.

But Whitehall moved into new territory with its ordinance holding any vicious dog owner -- not just Pit Bills -- to higher standards.

Whitehall will be the first of its kind to have a hearings process to determine if a dog is vicious or not, according to the ordinance. State law doesn't have anything similar.

When you look at a city like Columbus, the Whitehall ordinance is in unfamiliar territory.

Currently, there is no process to determine if a dog is vicious or not after an attack.

Whitehall's city attorney said that since the process is completely unique, it may be tested in state courts.

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/politi ... -0038.html

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL