UK Dangerous dog owners face jail under new plans

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » June 20th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Dangerous dog owners face jail under new plans
By Simon Johnson, Scottish Political Editor
Last Updated: 8:04PM BST 17/06/2008
Plans to imprison dog owners who fail to stop their animals running dangerously out of control have moved a step closer.

The measure is included in a Bill proposed by Nationalist MSP Alex Neil, which has now gained the 18 cross-party signatures necessary for it to be tabled at Holyrood.

He said it will address the shortcomings of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, claiming that since its introduction the number of dog attack victims treated at hospital has more than doubled.

Under Mr Neil's Bill, control orders would be issued to the owners of potentially-dangerous animals.

These could require the dogs to be muzzled or rehomed or that they and their owners attend training courses.

All dogs for which a control order was issued would be microchipped and their owners' details held on a database.

Dog attacks would also become an offence wherever they take place  owners currently cannot be prosecuted for incidents at home such as postmen being attacked.

Those who fail to control their animals could be forced to pay up to £5,000 in compensation and, in the most serious cases, be hit with an unlimited fine and two years in jail.

Mr Neil said: "I am delighted to have gained enough support to introduce this Bill to the Scottish Parliament.

"The 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act has failed because of its narrow focus on four breeds of dog. The owners of any other breed are left to largely do as they please regardless of the behaviour of the dog."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... plans.html

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Education...Awareness...Advocacy
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL