Victory in Longmont, CO!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » April 5th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Yeah! This is the town just north of me, where one of the main people that runs Colorado Pit Bull Rescue lives! I'm so happy!

*CROSSPOST*

About 40 people attended the open session, with 10 or so speaking against BSL and three speaking for it. The police chief then addressed the Council with the information that he and his staff had gathered. The chief did a great job stating the facts on statistics, current ordinances, and studies relating to BSL in other towns.

The council then addressed the chief, city attorney, the humane society and animal control with questions about what the stat's really showed, the current ordinances, education, and animal licensing. In the end it was unanimous that BSL would not be the best option for Longmont. The Council stated that it was more important that the current ordinances are enforced and that the attention should be placed on ways to increase the number of licensed pets. A committee of local vets will be formed to come up with ways to improve licensing and education – a group of vets had volunteered at an earlier meeting.

The council said that they based their decision not on the views of the citizens since the views were greatly based on emotion and each persons own experience; instead their decision was based of the facts presented by unbiased groups such as the police chiefs report, the humane society, the kennel club and other agencies.

I hope other communities can learn from the Longmont Council - thank you to those who sent letters to the Council.

:bananaDance:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 5th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Yay! :clap:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » April 5th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Woohoo!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » April 6th, 2006, 7:49 am

Wow! They did it on CO, the pit bull killing fields! That means we can do it anywhere! :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » April 6th, 2006, 10:59 am

We've had several BSL victories in Colorado so far! Most councils are wisening up around here. :) (is that a word? lol ) Now to reverse the Denver/Aurora rulings....
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL