How NOT to Break Up a Dog Fight-GRAPHIC VIDEO

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Michele » March 24th, 2008, 11:03 am

On March 19 2008, bahamutt99 wrote:
On March 19 2008, 8:24 AM, mnp13 wrote:I'm interested to know what was going on in that fight.

It was at an ADBA show, and another dog pulled over to Loki and grabbed her by the side of her muzzle. She couldn't get a hold because of the way the other dog had her, but she was trying. I grabbed her collar and cranked her up, while the other guy broke his dog off with a stick. As soon as they were parted, I pulled her back so she couldn't get a hold.

All I was saying is that I don't see why its better to choke than break with a stick, or how people can dismiss the value of having one. Loki sure didn't find it pleasant when she was being throttled by her own choke chain and her tongue was turning purple. If people can break up with a stick, then its nobody else's business to suggest that a breaking stick is worthless.

I agree. It's another option.
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Sure, it's an option, but it's not one I recommend to anyone. There are tons of options that might work to get two dogs apart once they have latched on to each other. Some are much more effective than others. By effective I mean - safe for dog and handler and relatively easy to do without assistance and as fast and efficient as possible). I don't feel that a break stick meets any of the above, whereas choking them apart does.

I will reiterate - choking a dog off of a bite is not going to injure them unless there is some other underlying problem. Staying in a fight will injure them far more than running out of oxygen for a few seconds.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » March 24th, 2008, 3:32 pm

On March 24 2008, 11:03 AM, Michele wrote:
On March 19 2008, 8:24 AM, mnp13 wrote:I'm interested to know what was going on in that fight.

It was at an ADBA show, and another dog pulled over to Loki and grabbed her by the side of her muzzle. She couldn't get a hold because of the way the other dog had her, but she was trying. I grabbed her collar and cranked her up, while the other guy broke his dog off with a stick. As soon as they were parted, I pulled her back so she couldn't get a hold.

All I was saying is that I don't see why its better to choke than break with a stick, or how people can dismiss the value of having one. Loki sure didn't find it pleasant when she was being throttled by her own choke chain and her tongue was turning purple. If people can break up with a stick, then its nobody else's business to suggest that a breaking stick is worthless.

How old is your Pit Bull, Michele? Has he/she ever been in a fight... and how did you handle it?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » March 24th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Ask Demo how I broke up a dog fight last night while I was on the phone with him. Then ask him how long it took me to do it. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » March 24th, 2008, 3:44 pm

On March 24 2008, 3:41 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:Ask Demo how I broke up a dog fight last night while I was on the phone with him. Then ask him how long it took me to do it. :wink:

You were on the phone w/Demo??? Was he making bacon??? :shock: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » March 24th, 2008, 3:44 pm

On March 24 2008, 10:03 AM, Michele wrote:

I wonder how well she liked having the other dog hanging off of her face. Was that somehow MORE pleasant then being choked for a second or two?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 24th, 2008, 3:44 pm

On March 24 2008, 2:44 PM, amazincc wrote:
On March 24 2008, 3:41 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:Ask Demo how I broke up a dog fight last night while I was on the phone with him. Then ask him how long it took me to do it. :wink:

You were on the phone w/Demo??? Was he making bacon??? :shock: :wink:

No, he told me Michelle ate it all.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby lil_red » March 24th, 2008, 10:24 pm

I was afraid to click on this thread for a variety of reasons, and I know that there are a variety of opinions on "humane" ways to break up a dog fight. Sammy is really my first dog and right now doesn't show any dog aggression, but I'm certainly not going to put it past him, or any other dog we pass on our walks, to get into a scuffle. Just the fact that he is a pit bull, even if he isn't the aggressor, he will ultimately be "at fault" and that's the liability I took on when I chose to be a pit bull owner. It seems to me that as inexperienced as I am in a dog fight situation, I'm not about to fumble with a piece of equipment that may or may not work that will just implicate me further into the "crime" of owning a pit bull and may or may not get me or others injured. If Sammy is beyond the point of voice command correction, then the choke out method really does seem to be the most humane in the long term, IMO... and I'm sure that there are even more methods out there available, but I think that it will still get the point across, and it's something at my experience level I feel confident with (I've done it on other people, and I imagine it's not too much different for dogs) and will get the point across to my dog until I can get the entire situation under control. But I'm sure that the most important thing is that whatever method is used to breakup an UNAVOIDABLE dog fight, that you are personally confident and familiar with that method.
The biflagellated organism replicates through binary fission...
lil_red
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 3:58 am

:goodStuff: lil_red... I completely agree!!!
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 10:43 am

On March 24 2008, amazincc wrote:
On March 24 2008, 11:03 AM, Michele wrote:

How old is your Pit Bull, Michele? Has he/she ever been in a fight... and how did you handle it?

I do not own a pit bull. I own a chihuahua. What difference does it make? I know a few people that have used this device with success. It's an option, that's it. The other options given in this thread are also very good.
Last edited by Michele on March 26th, 2008, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 26th, 2008, 11:03 am

All I have to say is that I wish I'd known the choke option back when Inara and my brother's dog got into a nasty, knock-down, drag-out fight a couple of years ago. Not being a pit owner, I would have never thought of having a break stick...I only vaguely knew that such a thing existed. The fight would have been over a lot sooner if I'd known to choke them off each other (Inara had Buca's ear in a locked-down grip...it's not just pits that can inflict such punishment...by little Aussie girl can do it quite nicely, thanks) and Buca had Inara by the throat until Inara latched onto her ear.

Trust me, we had plenty of things to choke them off with, if I'd only known.

That's the only time in 10 or so years that I've had a big nasty fight...but if it happens again...I know what to do. (and carrying a break stick for 10 more years without cause is not going to be it)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2008, 11:13 am

On March 26 2008, 10:03 AM, TheRedQueen wrote:All I have to say is that I wish I'd known the choke option back when Inara and my brother's dog got into a nasty, knock-down, drag-out fight a couple of years ago. Not being a pit owner, I would have never thought of having a break stick...I only vaguely knew that such a thing existed. The fight would have been over a lot sooner if I'd known to choke them off each other (Inara had Buca's ear in a locked-down grip...it's not just pits that can inflict such punishment...by little Aussie girl can do it quite nicely, thanks) and Buca had Inara by the throat until Inara latched onto her ear.

That's the only time in 10 or so years that I've had a big nasty fight...but if it happens again...I know what to do. (and carrying a break stick for 10 more years without cause is not going to be it)

Hi Erin, the choke off method, for me, was the only thing I could use to separate the dog fights that have occurred in my house over the past couple of months. The ONLY reason I thought to choke them is b/c it's a common method we use in bitework with young pups to get them off of a grip...No command in the world was going to stop these dogs when they were fighting...I know that break stick would've done nothing to separate the dogs because I was by myself, and getting one off the other would've done nothing...instead, I grabbed each at the neck/collar (one dog wasn't wearing a collar, so I had to grab her scruff) and choked them both at the same time.

You gotta do what works for you...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 11:15 am

On March 26 2008, 10:43 AM, Michele wrote:How old is your Pit Bull, Michele? Has he/she ever been in a fight... and how did you handle it?

I do not own a pit bull. I own a chihuahua. What difference does it make? I know a few people that have used this device with success. It's an option, that's it. The other options given in this thread are also very good.

Oh... :?
The way you post makes it sound like you have personal experience... isn't it a little dangerous to dispense advise when you have never used a break stick yourself to break up a Pit Bull fight??? :wink:
I think it makes a HUGE difference to someone like me who DOES own a Pit Bull, and who is trying to learn and soak up as much good info as possible - I wouldn't presume to give you advise on chihuahua-related issues, having never dealt w/one personally. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » March 26th, 2008, 11:21 am

On March 26 2008, 10:13 AM, katiek0417 wrote:
On March 26 2008, 10:03 AM, TheRedQueen wrote:All I have to say is that I wish I'd known the choke option back when Inara and my brother's dog got into a nasty, knock-down, drag-out fight a couple of years ago. Not being a pit owner, I would have never thought of having a break stick...I only vaguely knew that such a thing existed. The fight would have been over a lot sooner if I'd known to choke them off each other (Inara had Buca's ear in a locked-down grip...it's not just pits that can inflict such punishment...by little Aussie girl can do it quite nicely, thanks) and Buca had Inara by the throat until Inara latched onto her ear.

Hi Erin, the choke off method, for me, was the only thing I could use to separate the dog fights that have occurred in my house over the past couple of months. The ONLY reason I thought to choke them is b/c it's a common method we use in bitework with young pups to get them off of a grip...No command in the world was going to stop these dogs when they were fighting...I know that break stick would've done nothing to separate the dogs because I was by myself, and getting one off the other would've done nothing...instead, I grabbed each at the neck/collar (one dog wasn't wearing a collar, so I had to grab her scruff) and choked them both at the same time.

I did end up doing a sort-of choke hold...as I grabbed Inara in my arms to get her away from Buca, and grabbed her collar...must have choked her some (without intentionally doing it)...as she dropped Buca's ear then. If I'd known about the choke...I would have done it immediately! Now I know!

Does this turn Cy on...knowing that the pretty petite thing was trying to rip another bitch's ear off? :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2008, 11:33 am

On March 26 2008, 10:21 AM, TheRedQueen wrote:
On March 26 2008, 10:13 AM, katiek0417 wrote:

I did end up doing a sort-of choke hold...as I grabbed Inara in my arms to get her away from Buca, and grabbed her collar...must have choked her some (without intentionally doing it)...as she dropped Buca's ear then. If I'd known about the choke...I would have done it immediately! Now I know!

Does this turn Cy on...knowing that the pretty petite thing was trying to rip another bitch's ear off? :rolleyes2:

Oh very much so... :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: He said it's a woman taking after his own heart!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 11:38 am

On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:
On March 26 2008, 10:43 AM, Michele wrote:How old is your Pit Bull, Michele? Has he/she ever been in a fight... and how did you handle it?

The way you post makes it sound like you have personal experience... isn't it a little dangerous to dispense advise when you have never used a break stick yourself to break up a Pit Bull fight??? :wink:
I think it makes a HUGE difference to someone like me who DOES own a Pit Bull, and who is trying to learn and soak up as much good info as possible - I wouldn't presume to give you advise on chihuahua-related issues, having never dealt w/one personally. :)

With all due respect, me not owning a pit bull has nothing to do with the level of experience and knowledge I have with regard to this breed. And if you read all my posts in this thread, I never once put anyone down for other methods used to break up dog fights. And if you were educated enough regarding chihuahuas, I would certainly have no problems whatsoever taking advice from you, even if you never owned one.

If I am not sure about something, I won't post it.
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2008, 11:46 am

On March 26 2008, 11:15, amazincc wrote:

Good post Christine.

Having "heard" that a method is good is far cry from actually experiencing it. Like I said earlier, and from a number of people who have posted about their personal experiences with dog fights - a break stick is far from an ideal way to (try to) break up a fight, especially when you are alone. It would be impossible for one person to separate two dogs with a break stick who have ahold of each other.

Choking dogs off works every time. Period. Dogs that can't breath can not fight. It's not possible. You may have to hold until their tongues turn blue, but you can actually push their heads closer in the mean time to prevent further tearing injuries. If the dogs have wide collars on, you can undo the buckle to let the collar tighten like a noose.

A break stick, used incorrectly, can break teeth. A break stick, aimed incorrectly can end up in a dog's eye. The dogs don't hold still and wait for you to stick it in where it belongs, you're trying to control the movements of both dogs to get the aim right. there is no way I want a pointed stick near my dog's face while it is moving around - and the other dog will be adding to that movement.

I have been "anti break stick" for a long time, and I am even more sure about that stance after reading this thread. I didn't recommend them before, but now I will actively discourage them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 11:49 am

A break stick, used incorrectly, can break teeth. A break stick, aimed incorrectly can end up in a dog's eye. The dogs don't hold still and wait for you to stick it in where it belongs, you're trying to control the movements of both dogs to get the aim right. there is no way I want a pointed stick near my dog's face while it is moving around - and the other dog will be adding to that movement.

I agree. All i've ever said in this thread is that it is another "OPTION", that's it. Is it for everyone, absolutely not. Is it for every situation, absolutely not. Just another option.
Last edited by Michele on March 26th, 2008, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2008, 11:49 am

Oh...
The way you post makes it sound like you have personal experience... isn't it a little dangerous to dispense advise when you have never used a break stick yourself to break up a Pit Bull fight???
I think it makes a HUGE difference to someone like me who DOES own a Pit Bull, and who is trying to learn and soak up as much good info as possible - I wouldn't presume to give you advise on chihuahua-related issues, having never dealt w/one personally.

Good post Christine.

Having "heard" that a method is good is far cry from actually experiencing it. Like I said earlier, and from a number of people who have posted about their personal experiences with dog fights - a break stick is far from an ideal way to (try to) break up a fight, especially when you are alone. It would be impossible for one person to separate two dogs with a break stick who have ahold of each other.

Choking dogs off works every time. Period. Dogs that can't breath can not fight. It's not possible. You may have to hold until their tongues turn blue, but you can actually push their heads closer in the mean time to prevent further tearing injuries. If the dogs have wide collars on, you can undo the buckle to let the collar tighten like a noose.

I have been "anti break stick" for a long time, and I am even more sure about that stance after reading this thread. I didn't recommend them before, but now I will actively discourage them.

:goodStuff:
Last edited by katiek0417 on March 26th, 2008, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 11:55 am

On March 26 2008, 11:38 AM, Michele wrote:
On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:

With all due respect, me not owning a pit bull has nothing to do with the level of experience and knowledge I have with regard to this breed. And if you read all my posts in this thread, I never once put anyone down for other methods used to break up dog fights. And if you were educated enough regarding chihuahuas, I would certainly have no problems whatsoever taking advice from you, even if you never owned one.

If I am not sure about something, I won't post it.

But that's my point, Michele... you DON'T have first-hand knowledge OR personal experience w/break sticks OR have ever broken up a fight w/one. Yet you are VERY adamant about telling people that it's an excellent way to break up a fight... as another option.
No, you didn't put anyone down and I didn't accuse you of that. :wink:
I can educate myself on paper and by watching people on all kinds of subjects... but it wouldn't make me an expert, and I wouldn't feel comfortable advising others to do something that could be potentially VERY dangerous for everyone involved, dogs AND humans alike.
Anyway - I don't want to fight w/you... I was honestly under the impression that you had hands-on experience. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk