The Mick and Christine Show!

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Jessica » January 11th, 2008, 5:30 pm

On January 11 2008, 10:42 AM, lellis34 wrote:I'm just wondering, call me crazy, do you think the vet or a tech might make a house call? Could some of the things he needs be done at home? Just a thought.

No, he needs blood work done before each chemo treatment to determine what kind of injection he is getting. But that would've been a great idea otherwise.
Jessica
Jessica
Just Whelped

Postby gayrghts » January 11th, 2008, 5:37 pm

To bad time was not of the essence... and he could have 6 mths or so to practice going to the vet and have good experiences....

ie happy dog visits :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Jessica » January 11th, 2008, 5:47 pm

On January 11 2008, 4:37 PM, gayrghts wrote:To bad time was not of the essence... and he could have 6 mths or so to practice going to the vet and have good experiences....

I really wish you would not make fun of his situation. My Mom HAS been practicing with him as much as possible, even going to the vet, but he gets SO agitated at the office that it doesn't matter. He might only live another six months, so I would appreciate it if you didn't upset my Mother with posts like this.
Jessica
Jessica
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » January 11th, 2008, 5:55 pm

((((Jessica)))) Tell your mom Cheeky loves her & Mick. And you too.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » January 11th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Everytime I see my big-leafed plant in my living room (I have no idea what it is...) I think of MICK and his palm leaves. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2008, 6:15 pm

On January 11 2008, 16:37, gayrghts wrote:To bad time was not of the essence... and he could have 6 mths or so to practice going to the vet and have good experiences....

Excuse me? Do a search honey. Christine has worked her butt off with Mick since the day she joined this forum. She has been open and honest about every success and failure with his training. She has tried every method of working with him that we have suggested and then some. They have made HUGE strides together.

Let me be more than direct here....

Your mouth is digging you a hole that you can't climb out of. I'd suggest you find somewhere else to post for a while. When you learn the definition of tact, apply it to your life, then you can return. Until then, I'd rather not see you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 11th, 2008, 6:56 pm

On January 11 2008, 7:24 AM, Jessica wrote:
On January 09 2008, 10:10 AM, gf turtle wrote:I'm not on much these days and I just saw the threads about Mick. I am so sorry Christine, cancer sucks. I'll be thinking of you and Mick and will hope for him to go into remission.

I know what it's like to have a dog that hates the vet and has a bad time outside of their home... My previous pit bull was much like your Mick. She only trusted us, and did not like strangers. She was abused by a boarding kennel where I had to leave her for 2 wks when my father died, and she was never the same after that. I kept her safe for 6 more yrs until she got sick with what we were told was probably a brain tumor. It's a hard thing to have a pit bull that does not have the typical temperament of loving everyone...

Best of luck and good thoughts sent. I hope you can get him feeling better and have some more time with him. Cancer breaks your heart but you love him and will do your best for him. I am so very sorry, and hope Mick does well with his treatments.

(And those are great pics with him and the turtles! I am a turtle fan too, and my old dog used to steal cantaloupe from the box turtles, I wish I had a pic of that. Turtle-puppies, that's great!)

Mickeys worst experiences with people were at vet offices, because we used to think they knew what they were doing. He was slammed between the door and the wall by one vet technician one time while another one pulled his leash through the crack in the door, because he tried to follow my Mom. They had told us that it would be easier on Mickey if my Mom wasn't around during his exam and shots and that he would be easier to manage. He ended up with a bloody lip and nose and peed and pooped all over the wall. We saw the whole thing and it was horrible. We never went back to that vet, but Mickey just can't trust anyone in a vet office now. He has gotten much better with other people because my Mom practices with him every day, but at the vet he forgets everything he has learned.

Jessica, I know how you and your mom feel. SOME dogs do much better without mom/dad there...others, like Mick and Rocky do MUCH WORSE. It's like they need that one thing of comfort there.

I think your mom has done everything right for Mick. His fears aren't a product of anything she has or hasn't done, she's gone way ABOVE what most people would do if they were faced with a challenging dog (I've seen many people get rid of their dogs for far less than the fear that Mick and Rocky show). We do what we can for our heart dogs, and we find ways to work around their quirks...no one knows our dogs better than we do...

And, btw, I LOVE that he gets the palm leaves for her!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Remington » January 11th, 2008, 7:33 pm

I am very sorry to hear about Mick. It's a very sad, difficult situation for everyone involved.
I think people were trying to mention that it's too bad that he has to be uncomfortable going to the vet, and now he has to go more often. It's too bad there wasn't another solution (such as the home visits from the vet) to improve the situation. It's just makes things a little more difficult. Mick sounds like a great pup!
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2008, 8:46 pm

A number of people have contacted me to ask what they can do to help. If you would care to make a contribution to Mick's medical expenses here is the contact information:

Animal Cancer Clinic
372 S Powerline Road
Deerfiels Beach
FL 33442
954-421-5099
Dr. Stephanie S Correa (DVM, DACVIM)
Account# 1856
Mickey/Christine

I know that any help is greatly appreciated, however, should you choose to donate.

Please keep it private, it does not belong on the board.

Thanks!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » January 11th, 2008, 8:54 pm

ummm...am I missing something somewhere else? I didn't read this as being malicious...it seems to me that Heather was saying it really sucks that Mick's vet visits are so stressful for him and that there wasn't time to prepare him for a positive experience to make his illness go smoother

On January 11 2008, 5:15 PM, mnp13 wrote:
On January 11 2008, 16:37, gayrghts wrote:To bad time was not of the essence... and he could have 6 mths or so to practice going to the vet and have good experiences....

Excuse me? Do a search honey. Christine has worked her butt off with Mick since the day she joined this forum. She has been open and honest about every success and failure with his training. She has tried every method of working with him that we have suggested and then some. They have made HUGE strides together.

Your mouth is digging you a hole that you can't climb out of. I'd suggest you find somewhere else to post for a while. When you learn the definition of tact, apply it to your life, then you can return. Until then, I'd rather not see you.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Hi Lisa, yes, you missed something but that's ok. Heather is taking a break from the forum for now. She is welcome to do it voluntarily or we can do it for her.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » January 11th, 2008, 9:17 pm

On January 11 2008, Wyldmoonwoman wrote:ummm...am I missing something somewhere else? I didn't read this as being malicious...it seems to me that Heather was saying it really sucks that Mick's vet visits are so stressful for him and that there wasn't time to prepare him for a positive experience to make his illness go smoother

On January 11 2008, 5:15 PM, mnp13 wrote:

Well I missed it too, apparently!!!???
I can't see anything malicious or horrible in her post at all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » January 11th, 2008, 9:19 pm

This is a thread in the cancer section for Christine and Mick, let's keep it that way out of respect, please and thanks. :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Excellent post Jenn. I sincerely hope that no one else will need to be reminded of that. Any questions about this matter can be directed privately to the staff.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 11th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Christine or Jessica, how is Mick's diarrhea and vomiting? Give him a big smooch from Inara, for me!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » January 11th, 2008, 10:09 pm

On January 11 2008, 7:46 PM, mnp13 wrote:A number of people have contacted me to ask what they can do to help. If you would care to make a contribution to Mick's medical expenses here is the contact information:

Animal Cancer Clinic
372 S Powerline Road
Deerfiels Beach
FL 33442
954-421-5099
Dr. Stephanie S Correa (DVM, DACVIM)
Account# 1856
Mickey/Christine

I know that any help is greatly appreciated, however, should you choose to donate.

Please keep it private, it does not belong on the board.

Thanks!

thank you, I would like to send a card also, can I send it there?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Sure can! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » January 12th, 2008, 2:05 am

How's Mick doing?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby tradewind » January 12th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I haven't been around on the board in awhile, so sorry for the late response.

Very Sorry to hear about your boys cancer diagnosis. Sending alot of well wishes for You and Mick.
It is never easy to go thru but the support from this board is outstanding !!!!!
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2008, 4:41 pm

On January 11 2008, 4:47 PM, Jessica wrote:
On January 11 2008, 4:37 PM, gayrghts wrote:To bad time was not of the essence... and he could have 6 mths or so to practice going to the vet and have good experiences....

I really wish you would not make fun of his situation. My Mom HAS been practicing with him as much as possible, even going to the vet, but he gets SO agitated at the office that it doesn't matter. He might only live another six months, so I would appreciate it if you didn't upset my Mother with posts like this.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, Heather... it would be ideal if we had time to practice going to the vet and making it a positive experience. We have tried to do that in the past and it hasn't helped much, since our primary vet doesn't seem to understand even the basics of how to approach a fearful dog and hasn't been of much help... :|

As for my snarky child - she's been crated and has to earn her house privileges again. I guess I can see where Mick gets his attitude from... :oops: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer