Rabies Clinic

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby lellis34 » June 11th, 2007, 2:03 pm

The Montgomery County Animal Shelter will hold free rabies clinics on June 24th, July 22nd, August 19, and September 16th.

Vaccination is free for dogs and cats. Required county pet licenses will be available for purchase. Out of county pets are not required to purchase a license, but may receive the rabies vaccination for a $4 fee for each pet.

Clinics will be held at 14645 Rothgeb Drive, Rockville, MD. If rain is in the forecast call after 9 a.m. on the day of the clinic for possible cancellation due to inclement weather (240-773-5946, option 4).
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby msvette2u » June 11th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Geez. I wish they did that here!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lellis34 » August 15th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Just a reminder that the rabies clinic is this Sunday. Even if you're not in Montgomery County you can get the shot and just pay $4. So if you need Rabies, here's your chance.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby TheRedQueen » August 17th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Do they do a 3 year or just 1 year shot?

I'll have to look and see if anyone's up for rabies this year.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby lellis34 » August 17th, 2007, 2:08 pm

On August 17 2007, TheRedQueen wrote:Do they do a 3 year or just 1 year shot?

I'm not sure. Kings expires on Tuesday so either way he'll be there.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby gayrghts » August 21st, 2007, 1:38 am

On August 17 2007, 12:23 PM, TheRedQueen wrote:Do they do a 3 year or just 1 year shot?

The way i understand rabies shots....
if you have proof of a 1 yr and tis a year or so later the next shot becomes a 3 yr.

the vaccine is the same, the concept is
first vaccine lasts a year
but when you get a 2nd, approx a year after the first it boosts the immunity to last for 3 more years, then next shot, approx 3 yrs after the 2nd boosts another 3 yrs.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » August 21st, 2007, 1:43 am

Some places will only do a one year shot (even in a state that accepts 3 years)...and some offer both. I've seen clinics that only do one year. My guys always get a three year rabies, once they're past the first one. I also used to get 3 year Distemper/parvo shots, but my new vet doesn't offer those. *pout* I just wish titers were cheaper. :cheeky3: My therapy program accepts titers, but they must be done yearly...and that's just too much for five dogs. Ugh.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2007, 7:51 am

On August 21 2007, 12:43 AM, TheRedQueen wrote:Some places will only do a one year shot (even in a state that accepts 3 years)...and some offer both. I've seen clinics that only do one year. My guys always get a three year rabies, once they're past the first one. I also used to get 3 year Distemper/parvo shots, but my new vet doesn't offer those. *pout* I just wish titers were cheaper. :cheeky3: My therapy program accepts titers, but they must be done yearly...and that's just too much for five dogs. Ugh.

Have you thought of home vaccination? For 5 dogs it might be WAY cheaper...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » August 21st, 2007, 8:50 am

My Vet said the rabies vaccination he gives is the 3 year, but he sends reminders to people at the 2 year mark, because many people take their sweet-a$$ time and it turns into almost 3 years.

Not me of course...when I get the postcard I go in the next day, so mine are done every 3 years. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2007, 8:54 am

On August 21 2007, 7:50 AM, iluvk9 wrote:My Vet said the rabies vaccination he gives is the 3 year, but he sends reminders to people at the 2 year mark, because many people take their sweet-a$$ time and it turns into almost 3 years.

Not me of course...when I get the postcard I go in the next day, so mine are done every 3 years. :dance:

Joyce, we all know you're better than the rest of us lazy a$$ people!!!! :wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » August 21st, 2007, 8:56 am

On August 21 2007, katiek0417 wrote:
On August 21 2007, 7:50 AM, iluvk9 wrote:My Vet said the rabies vaccination he gives is the 3 year, but he sends reminders to people at the 2 year mark, because many people take their sweet-a$$ time and it turns into almost 3 years.

Well, I am...but I would NEVER be able to give my dogs vaccinations, so you go me there, Chickie.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2007, 9:51 am

On August 21 2007, 7:56 AM, iluvk9 wrote:

Well, I am...but I would NEVER be able to give my dogs vaccinations, so you go me there, Chickie.

LOL...I was mortified the first time...I kept wondering if I was going to mess up in some way...and what if I (gasp) hurt the dog? I found that it's incredibly easy...and with 11 dogs in the house, it's so much cheaper...I can get a whole tray of DHLPP vaccinations for $100...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby gayrghts » August 21st, 2007, 10:58 am

On August 21 2007, 8:51 AM, katiek0417 wrote:

LOL...I was mortified the first time...I kept wondering if I was going to mess up in some way...and what if I (gasp) hurt the dog? I found that it's incredibly easy...and with 11 dogs in the house, it's so much cheaper...I can get a whole tray of DHLPP vaccinations for $100...

Do you need any sort of authorization to give them, ie vet tech etc?

I mean i'm an RN, i'm sure i can figure it out.... but how do you get the stuff.... how do you prove that you gave the vaccines?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » August 21st, 2007, 11:06 am

I've thought about it...but with the health problems I've had in the past and what some are dealing with now, I do like for them to get an exam...so they all go at least once a year. (Ripley is hypothyroid and has arthritis in his hips and back, Xander has a heart murmur) I did find a new vet up here in Carroll County that is nice n' cheap. I went in with Rip and Xander the first time which consisted of: 2 HW tests, 1 bottle of Soloxine (thyroid med), 1 DHLPP vax, 2 thorough exams, and something else...I don't remember. Along with lots of good advice for Xander's murmur and Rip's hips during the exams. Total...a little under a hundred dollars. It used to be, walking in for exams cost me that much! lol

The good thing is too, with Sawyer as a Service Dog...everything for him is tax deductible. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby lellis34 » August 21st, 2007, 11:20 am

FYI - they do give the 3 year vaccine. That's what I got for King. The only thing I needed to pay for was his license (required in MoCo). But if you're from outside of the county you'd just pay the $4 for the shot.

The next clinic is on September 16th. If you go, go early. We got there right at 10:00 and had to wait about 30 minutes.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby TheRedQueen » August 21st, 2007, 11:25 am

Good to know, thanks...I checked my guys, and no one's due till at least next year. But I've been passing on the info about the clinic, as I have lots of friends in Mont. Co. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2007, 11:56 am

On August 21 2007, 9:58 AM, gayrghts wrote:
On August 21 2007, 8:51 AM, katiek0417 wrote:

Do you need any sort of authorization to give them, ie vet tech etc?

I mean i'm an RN, i'm sure i can figure it out.... but how do you get the stuff.... how do you prove that you gave the vaccines?

You can buy the same vaccines your vet has from right online...several places: drs. foster and smith, omaha vaccine, etc...

In fact, my vet uses the Duramune Max by Pfizer...that's exactly what I got...

You don't need any authorization...and each bottle has a sticker on it (the same thing your vet uses in his/her records with lot number, etc)...I keep those for the vet with the date they were given...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » August 21st, 2007, 12:08 pm

When Carlos Garcia was fighting cancer, I had to give him sub-q's. I was able to do that, but only because he was counting on me to keep him hydrated. But otherwise, I am a fainter. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 21st, 2007, 12:17 pm

On August 21 2007, 11:08 AM, iluvk9 wrote:When Carlos Garcia was fighting cancer, I had to give him sub-q's. I was able to do that, but only because he was counting on me to keep him hydrated. But otherwise, I am a fainter. :giggle:

I can handle the needles and give injections no problem...but the BF cannot...not to mention that he can't hold dogs for me, since he's in a scooter.

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2007, 12:20 pm

On August 21 2007, 11:17 AM, TheRedQueen wrote:
On August 21 2007, 11:08 AM, iluvk9 wrote:When Carlos Garcia was fighting cancer, I had to give him sub-q's. I was able to do that, but only because he was counting on me to keep him hydrated. But otherwise, I am a fainter. :giggle:

I can handle the needles and give injections no problem...but the BF cannot...not to mention that he can't hold dogs for me, since he's in a scooter.

Yes, that would make it hard...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder