Feeding Raw...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2007, 8:36 am

Soooo... here's the thing - we got a new freezer, and I want to start feeding Mick a raw diet. He's been on various kibbles/canned food for the past five years, and I have no idea where and how to start. I also have a feeling that he might look at me funny, if I throw a raw piece of chicken in his bowl, and expect me to cook it for him...
Would someone be willing to write up a complete raw diet plan for seven days and include everything I need to add (if I need to add anything, that is... I have no clue what else he would need... :| ), so I could get started on it and would also be able to interchange the foods on different days?
He weights 62 pounds right now, since he has been on "house-arrest" for over a month... he's "normal" weight is between 55-58 pounds when he exercises.
I will pay you!!! :D :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2007, 8:41 am

First week of raw:

Day 1: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 2: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 3: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 4: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 5: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 6: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters
Day 7: 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters

First week you want to use the same protein source to give their body time to adjust. After that you can get a little more creative.

Oh, and there's no charge for that. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » July 26th, 2007, 9:02 am

If you PM me your address, I'll send you an article in the Whole Dog Journal about feeding raw....it's a great article, and really tells you exactly how to do it!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2007, 9:08 am

On July 26 2007, 7:41 AM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:First week of raw:

First week you want to use the same protein source to give their body time to adjust. After that you can get a little more creative.

Hmmm... okay...
What do you mean by "getting creative"?
He's not going to live on 1 1/2 lbs chicken quarters for the rest of his life... right? Don't I need to add something???
Oh... and I appreciate the freebie... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Magnolia618 » July 26th, 2007, 9:08 am

On July 26 2007, pitbullmamaliz wrote:First week of raw:

Is that all you feed? No kelp? No eggs? Yogurt? Fish oil? Different kinds of meat? Organs?

Or are you just talking about for the first week?

(Sorry, I'm not being nasty, I just woke up and I'm confused LOL )
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2007, 9:13 am

I think that's only for the first week, to start him off...
If this is going to get complicated we're sticking w/the kibble. :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2007, 9:29 am

Nope, that was first week only. You need to let their system adjust. After the first week, introduce a 2nd protein (pork loin, pork ribs, etc). You can also begin to throw in eggs every so often if you want. After his system adjusts (small, firm poops, maybe once or twice a day), you can begin adding other proteins - beef, turkey, lamb (causes gas), fish, etc. You just don't want to overload their system too quickly or it can cause the runs.

You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to add the pureed veggies and other supplements. Some people do, others just do meat and bones. I feel it's personal choice.

Christine, just do it. I was terrified at first too, but it's pretty hard to mess up. And Mick will love you for it! His poops'll be great, his breath will be amazing, and his coat will be lovely. You'll love it, he'll love it, life will be good. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2007, 9:38 am

On July 26 2007, 8:29 AM, pitbullmamaliz wrote: His poops'll be great... :)

Yeah, I imagine that'll be the highlight of my days... not to mention a great conversation starter... :bowWave:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2007, 11:33 am

We started with ground beef, because we had a ton of it. The only problem we had was both boys got pretty constipated. We gave them each about 2 cups of vegetable baby food and they were fine.

We feed mostly chicken and turkey, all three dogs get about a pound a day. We suppliment with organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (great for eye boogers), MSM (joint support), sardines in water (for oils), blood from the meat bags (because they like it), vegetables (for roughage), metamucil (helps keep things moving). All of the suppliments are given a couple times a week, without any set schedule.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » July 26th, 2007, 11:43 am

Michelle, I'd be interested in picking your brain next time I see you to get an idea of how you supplement in the veggies/any organ meat. I came from pre-packaged raw and have tried the veggie/organ deal on my own but haven't found a good routine yet.

On July 26 2007, mnp13 wrote:We started with ground beef, because we had a ton of it. The only problem we had was both boys got pretty constipated. We gave them each about 2 cups of vegetable baby food and they were fine.

We feed mostly chicken and turkey, all three dogs get about a pound a day. We suppliment with organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (great for eye boogers), MSM (joint support), sardines in water (for oils), blood from the meat bags (because they like it), vegetables (for roughage), metamucil (helps keep things moving). All of the suppliments are given a couple times a week, without any set schedule.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2007, 11:47 am

We just throw in the veggies when we think about it. We wanted to do one night of veggies a week, but most weeks we forget. :oops:

We add in organ meat when we think about it, we have a lot of liver, but if we give too much Riggs gets explosive diahrreah... and it's oh so pleasant in his crate!

I'm planning on getting some kennel rolls from Joe's Meat Market - they are mostly organ meat - so that I can just add in a chunk of that once a week or so.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » July 26th, 2007, 11:53 am

I never feed veggies. I did when I first started feeding raw, then chose not to. It is all up to you & how you want to do it. Justice does tend to get constipated so I might toss in a few veggies for her occasionally but I don't make a habit of it.

Christine it is VERY easy to feed raw, not complicated at all. If it were, I wouldn't be doing it. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby maberi » July 26th, 2007, 1:17 pm

I went for a while without feeding any veggies or fruit but am back to supplementing them in.

I just finished a really good book that had a section on dogs and their taste buds. Although very different from ours they have taste buds specifically for sweets (cats do not have this taste bud) and in the wild they will often supplement their diet with fruit if available.

On July 26 2007, cheekymunkee wrote:I never feed veggies. I did when I first started feeding raw, then chose not to. It is all up to you & how you want to do it. Justice does tend to get constipated so I might toss in a few veggies for her occasionally but I don't make a habit of it.

Christine it is VERY easy to feed raw, not complicated at all. If it were, I wouldn't be doing it. :wink:
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Vertigo » July 26th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Has anyone ever had any experience feeding raw compared to feeding a premium dog food?

For example you guys know I feed Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural; has anyone made the switch from a similar product to raw? Any significant findings ...was the dog healthier a better chess player etc?

The reason I ask is because of the of the convenience factor. For example if feeding raw puts my dog in the 10/10 stars category where he craps golden nuggets that I sell for a profit [I know sorry for the over exaduration] and feeding TW W&N is 9/10 stars but I only make one trip to the store I don't bother with freezing and I just poor some into a bowl and he's almost in the same category as the raw fed dogs then I would stick with what I'm doing.

However, if what I feed is in the 6/10 compared to raw I would definitely switch to raw.

Am I making sense? How do they stack up? [keep in mind I supplement with roughage, organic raw eggs, cottage cheese etc.]
Vertigo
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 26th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Most of us here have gone fro a premium food to raw. Mnp13 fed Evo before switching to raw. I have an allergy dog that developed an intolerance to every food he tried. He would do well for a year or so ( if that long) then they would change the formula or he would start losing hair, breaking out, having hot spots. I started feeding raw 3 years ago or so & he has never looked better. He is almost 8 & so full of energy, he doesn't look his age or act it. I have an 8 year old spitz/pom mix that acts like a puppy. Neither of them are even greying around their muzzles yet. I have a 4 year old APBT who has been fed raw for 3 years & has teeth to die for as far as whiteness, she has never had tartar. My dogs teeth sparkle, their coats feel like velvet, they suck at chess.

I think people should feed what they are comfortable with. Some dogs just don't do well on kibble, but some don't do well on raw either. There is nothing at all wrong with feeding a top notch kibble such as TW. I don't see it as failing your dog in any way.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » July 26th, 2007, 10:11 pm

I make raw "burgers". I take eggs, yogurt, fish oil, kelp, veggies, and whatever else and put it in the blender. Then I mix it with ground meat and make burgers that I freeze individually and feed with each meal. It makes things so much easier.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Any specific quantities I have to mix?
I'm not knocking TW kibble, btw - but that stuff is expensive... :shock:

And Mick cheats at checkers... I hope a raw diet will improve his disposition when we play next time. 8)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby randi81 » July 30th, 2007, 11:27 am

On July 26 2007, 4:26 PM, Vertigo wrote:Has anyone ever had any experience feeding raw compared to feeding a premium dog food?

For example you guys know I feed Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural; has anyone made the switch from a similar product to raw? Any significant findings ...was the dog healthier a better chess player etc?

The reason I ask is because of the of the convenience factor. For example if feeding raw puts my dog in the 10/10 stars category where he craps golden nuggets that I sell for a profit [I know sorry for the over exaduration] and feeding TW W&N is 9/10 stars but I only make one trip to the store I don't bother with freezing and I just poor some into a bowl and he's almost in the same category as the raw fed dogs then I would stick with what I'm doing.

However, if what I feed is in the 6/10 compared to raw I would definitely switch to raw.

Am I making sense? How do they stack up? [keep in mind I supplement with roughage, organic raw eggs, cottage cheese etc.]

I switched from Solid Gold Barking at the Moon to feeding raw. I have an allergic dog, and even on the grain-free Solid Gold, she was having allergy issues. Now that I've switched back to raw, her allergies are slim to none.

On another note ~ I personally don't feed veggies. Saydee will not eat them. I tried everything, and she eats around them. If I give her veggies in ground beef, she will put it all in her mouth, suck off the meat, and spit out the veggies. :| I supplement with yogurt and acidophilus, and very shortly going to add in joint support, as my girl is getting a bit stiff sometimes.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby randi81 » July 30th, 2007, 11:29 am

On July 26 2007, 10:11 PM, Magnolia618 wrote:I make raw "burgers". I take eggs, yogurt, fish oil, kelp, veggies, and whatever else and put it in the blender. Then I mix it with ground meat and make burgers that I freeze individually and feed with each meal. It makes things so much easier.

That is a really, really good idea! If I did that, Saydee wouldn't be able to spit out the veggies she doesn't like. :twisted: Thanks!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 30th, 2007, 11:30 am

Christine, I'm putting this article in the mail for you today!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next