Ruby ate a corn cob

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby HappyPuppy » May 14th, 2007, 11:11 pm

How dumb was I in just tossing Ruby an eaten corn cob from dinner? Somehow I stupidly thought she'd gnaw on it a few times like a bone and then all of a sudden it was gone...all eaten. Should I try to counter act it with anything? Aaah - by the time most of you (east coasters) read this it will be morning....
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » May 15th, 2007, 12:30 am

well, I'd almost say induce vomiting, but if she swallowed it whole theres a chance it might choke her on the way back up.
If you get this tonight, try calling an emergency vet to see what they have to say...

other then that, watch her closely, if she seems at all lethargic, has a sore belly, goes off her food or water or starts having diarrhea (I mean DIARRHEA, like poo colored water or not much better) or especially if she starts vomiting in combination, then take her in.
Its to your benefit that you know she ate it, because things like corn cobs don't show up on xray, the only way to see them is by looking at the stool patterns in the gut.
I'd just keep an eye on her, its not sure fire that it will block her up :| Who knows, she may have chewed pieces off and swallowed them...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby HappyPuppy » May 15th, 2007, 12:44 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Malli. I'm pretty sure she chewed it up - I saw some pieces and picked them up. She was chewing.... How about a tablespoon of oil or something.?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » May 15th, 2007, 6:24 am

Earl and Yoda have eaten these before and have never had a problem. I would assume that her digestive system can break it down?
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » May 15th, 2007, 7:20 am

Corn cobs are tough -- they aren't easily digestible in most dogs. Hopefully, she broke up the pieces small enough so that they'll pass easily through her system.

Tucker shredded and ate part of a plastic grocery bag last night. I tried everything to make him vomit it up and nothing worked. I called my vet and she said to watch out for the same signs that Malli mentioned above. I'm also feeding Tucker nothing but lots of mashed potatoes for the next five days -- it acts like a "glue" and will stick to the plastic, helping it to move through his digestive tract. You may want to ask your vet before you try the mashed potatoes. If that corn cob is in one big piece, I'm not sure you want to encourage it to enter her intestinal tract. Hopefully, she'll vomit it up in the next couple of days.

Also watch out for her being "uncomfortable". She may not be able to lay down comfortably; she may be very restless and pace; she may keep swinging her head around to look at her stomach and/or may lick her stomach/sides; and she may hunch or "roach" her back -- that's a good sign for her being very uncomfortable and in pain.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » May 15th, 2007, 12:34 pm

My parent's dog Emma nearly died form a corn cob that lodged in the opening from her stomach to her intestines. For some unknown reason their vet waited nearly a week before doing a barium thing - when they x-rayed her nothing was getting past her stomach. Emergency surgery and 4 days at the vet later my parents had the most expensive corn cob ever - just about $900.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sw_df27 » May 15th, 2007, 12:35 pm

when alexis ate a whole box of mouse poisening my vet told me to give her 3 TB spoons of Peroxide and bam in 10 min she threw it all up!
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » May 15th, 2007, 1:18 pm

The peroxide trick works great. And what was said earlier about the corn cobs not digesting is correct. If the pieces are small enough they will pass and just be real dry on the other side.
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 15th, 2007, 1:36 pm

How is Ruby doing???
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 15th, 2007, 1:43 pm

On Tue, May 15 2007, 12:30 AM, Malli wrote:I'd almost say induce vomiting, but if she swallowed it whole theres a chance it might choke her on the way back up.

As Malli said, there's a good chance that she may choke on it when/if she throws it up. Right now, it's way too late to try the peroxide trick -- that only works within the first hour or so after the dog has swallowed the object. Anytime after that, the object is already starting to work into the digestive system and forcing her to vomit won't do you any good.

With luck, the corn cob will just be sitting in her stomach and she'll vomit it up on her own -- hopefully you can be there for her if she does throw it up and help her IF she starts to choke. Or, the pieces will be small enough and they'll pass through her system okay.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby HappyPuppy » May 15th, 2007, 2:50 pm

My husband is gone with the car this morning ... no changes from normal behavior. Called the vet and the receptionist said watch for discomfort or come in for xrays - said nothing special to feed would make a difference. I've been feeding a lot (too many - I've cut back) bones and RMBs so she's got the crunch/chew factor down, so I am pretty sure she chewed more than she swallowed big chunks. Morning poop was totally normal (no bone grd chicken dinner last nite) with no evidence of any pieces yet. I feel so horrible giving it to her vs her finding it on her own - I have heard nothing but horror stories since last nite (save a few incidents that came out fine). That'll teach me to give in to those 'baby seal' eyes.... Sleeping now like normal - peed a few times already but no more poops yet. I sure don't like this feeling in my own gut right now.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Sue » May 15th, 2007, 3:41 pm

My Pepper swallowed a corn cob (about 4"), we watched him and he was eating normally, drinking, no diarrhea, normal movements, he acted fine. I thought he had digested it.... About 6 weeks later, he threw it up - whole and all black. He then proceeded to try and swallow it again!
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Malli » May 15th, 2007, 3:51 pm

On May 15 2007, maberi wrote:Earl and Yoda have eaten these before and have never had a problem. I would assume that her digestive system can break it down?

corn is not digestible by people OR dogs, so there won't really be much breaking down going on.
I've seen corn cobs come out of a gut through surgery that the owners said were eaten almost 1 month prior! Corn cobs seem like one of the most innocuous things, but PLEASE do not feed them to your dogs!

As for the comments about inducing vomiting, unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that the object won't damage the esophagus or trachea on the way up and can't choke the dog, don't do it. Which is a better scenario, that your dog might choke on you ? Or that your dog has the possibility of getting a blockage? There are a few dogs that I've seen come into my work (and emergency vet. hospital) where instead of inducing vomiting we had to remove the object with a special machine called a scope and the dog under general anesthetic.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 15th, 2007, 6:11 pm

On May 15 2007, Sue wrote: About 6 weeks later, he threw it up - whole and all black. Then he proceeded to try and swallow it again!

LMAO
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Magnolia618 » May 15th, 2007, 10:25 pm

LMAO

Jason just gave Trey a corn cob. He chewed it up into little pieces and ate it. He's going to have nice poops tomorrow!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm

How is Ruby?
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » May 17th, 2007, 9:35 am

On May 15 2007, 2:41 PM, Sue wrote:My Pepper swallowed a corn cob (about 4"), we watched him and he was eating normally, drinking, no diarrhea, normal movements, he acted fine. I thought he had digested it.... About 6 weeks later, he threw it up - whole and all black. He then proceeded to try and swallow it again!

EWWWWW :|

How is Ruby?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby HappyPuppy » May 17th, 2007, 11:27 am

I was the one who woke upfeeling sick yesterday - sympathy pain or worry or what? She's bugging me right now to play... Been feeding boneless dinners this week and some extra veggies in case that helps lube things - wow are the poops nice and small like I was expecting with raw - that must be a sign that I'm feeding more bone than I should since with bone they are larger ... maybe bone just makes more poops (it probably does).... Anyway, she seems to be pooping normally (2 or 3 yesterday) but not yet this morning. The last few poops seemed to have fewer fragments in them but I do realize those things could be floating around in there for awhile.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » July 29th, 2011, 11:54 am

Soooooooo -- considering the 2007 date on my last post............ is it even remotely possible that Ruby could have barfed up a piece of this corn cob LAST NITE? She barfed up a round 'thing' that I could not identify!! I poked and prodded and broke it up - and darned if the thing doesn't ahve qualities of a corn cob piece!?!?! She has barfed once a week or so for years mainly after eating a raw chicken leg (she barfs up the leg bone ends) - but this is too wierd and should certainly ahve come back up by now, don'tchathink? I am very perplexed!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2011, 12:07 pm

I would imagine 4 years of stomach enzymes out have destroyed it by now. :shock:

Do you live near a corn field or something? :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health